Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TerryAlfred Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2011, 04:28 PM
    How to stop court ordered garnishments?
    I had a car and it was voluntarily surrendered. The balance owed was 6500.00, but they sold it and left me with a balance of about 3,000.00. For several years of not replying they finally took me to court and I signed off on the amount owed and said I would make arrangements. I did not keep my arrangement and they are now garnishing my checks but the amount is for 18,800.00 because they say that is the interest that has accumulated over the years. Is this legal and what can I do to fight that extreme amount?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 20, 2011, 04:49 PM
    Yes its legal and there is little you can do to stop it. Your only real hope is if you can offer a lump sum settlement. Or maybe filing bankruptcy.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 20, 2011, 06:38 PM
    You fight it when they took you to court to get the judgement, not now. You waited to long to fight.

Normally you always owe more money after they take you car than you do before they take it. Giving it back normally does not save you anything, just lose a car.

As noted, sold it, but I bet you did not count in legal fees for repo, ( even if you turn it back in) auction costs, and cost of transport to auction.

Then you have legal costs for judgement, and legal costs for garnishment. Then you have interest and other allowed fees. So yes it does go up that large if you ignore the debt and don't do anything.

If you have a job that they can not garnish, they have little reason to consider a settlement, but that may be your best choice to try

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Court ordered visitation [ 3 Answers ]

My aunt and uncle have court ordered visitation but they keep making false dss calls!Can I stop the visits?

Court ordered drug test, results to be sent to court, can person also get results? [ 1 Answers ]

Father of 15 month old court ordered to take hair follicle test.. Results to be faxed to person in juvenile court. Can anyone else get results before the next court hearing? Also, the test was taken 23 days ago and so far no results yet.. Why would it take so long?

As a defendant in court the judge ordered me to return to court to PROVE my innocence [ 2 Answers ]

Am I missing something? Long story short I've been harassed for years with the worst part being called into court by this psycho. The lawyers and judge are "good old boys" and I'm screwed. The icing on the cake was my accuser blaming me because she rear ended someone. In court she stated I must...

What do you do when the court ordered supevisor does not follow court order? [ 8 Answers ]

My children have been having supervised visits every other weekend on sat for one hour. This started in late August. The judge granted supervised visit's for the father every fri night and sat afternoon for one hour each. The father said he only wanted every other weekend to the supervisor, so...

Court ordered Mediation vs Court Trial [ 4 Answers ]

Hello again, I'm going into a mediation next month concerning a past credit card debt that I am being sued for. I plan on using the SOL defense as the date of last activity falls past the statute date. Anyhow, I was wondering what the difference between a Court ordered mediation and a normal...

View more questions Search