Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aseradot Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2011, 10:04 AM
    EtG testing... can I pass in 48 hours after having 3 drinks in an hour period
    I had three drinks in an hour period at ten am on sun.I had my urine sent out for EtG testing at ten thirty tues am.am I safe?
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2011, 11:05 AM
    Based on available information clearance time for EtG from 3 standard drinks would range from under 24 hours to as long as 41 hours (from completion of drinking). See Wojcik & Hawthorne Another study found EtG clearance to be in range of 22-31 hours for approx. 3 drinks. See Goll 2002

You should be OK but all of the elimination studies involved small populations.

Do you know the cutoff for the test?

Dec 20, 2011, 12:25 PM
    I'm not sure its for New Jersey drug court.I will research it

Dec 20, 2011, 01:08 PM
    Its for court so I'm assuming the lowest cutoff.. which I believe is 100... thank you for helping me!

Dec 20, 2011, 03:51 PM
    I keep hearing 80 hours and I'm worried.would I make that cutoff?
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2011, 04:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by aseradot View Post
    I keep hearing 80 hours and I'm worried.would I make that cutoff?
    80 hours does not relate to 3 drinks. It applies only to extreme cases. (see Wojcik & Hawthorne, previously cited, p. 1) Above I also cited two studies that deal with the approximate amount of alcohol that you consumed.

While no one can determine if you will pass the test, past research indicates that others having consumed equivalent amounts do not have detectable EtG.

Dec 21, 2011, 09:11 PM
    I'm sorry I have one more question... I hear of products like hand sanitizer and listerine cause postives is that true
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2011, 10:10 PM
    I'm sorry I have one more question...I hear of products like hand sanitizer and listerine cause postives is that true
    Yes it's true. Mouthwash, hair treatments, room deodorizers, foods, gasoline with ethanol, window de-icers, swimming pool chemicals, charcoal starter, paints, caulking, brake fluid, sanitizing sprays (Lysol), porcelain and oven cleaners, dishwashing soap, laundry detergent, spot removers, carpet cleaning agents, and the list goes on and on.

Any product that contains ethyl alcohol can create EtG in your system via contact with skin or inhalation.

Dec 26, 2011, 09:14 PM
    My results are due soon.. thank u for your help.. because of the variations from person to person I am still nervous.does it make a big difference if they were 3 strong drinks?I am just worried if it picks up small amounts that would show up.again,thank u for your time.I will let you know the results!
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2011, 08:25 AM
    It would make a difference if the drinks were "strong". Drink is a standardized measure and assumes 12 oz of beer (5%); 5 oz of wine (12%); 1- 1/2 oz distilled (80 prf). Each equals .06 oz of pure alcohol.*

The .06 is used to calculate metabolism. So for instance if one is consuming malt liquor instead of beer then a different calculation is used. If one is drinking 180 proof rum, or pouring 2 shots into a "drink" then the calculation and results will be altered.

*US measure. The term drink varies from country to country.

Dec 27, 2011, 07:05 PM
    Oh no!I couldn't calculate.. what is the most I could have 48 hours later... I understand it varies greatly... with all the hype that a few drops can be detected for 80 hours I was so worried until I read your posts and the studies.also I am 150 lbs... I ate a little that day.thank u
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2011, 07:21 PM
    Oh no!I couldn't calculate..what is the most I could have 48 hours later...I understand it varies greatly...with all the hype that a few drops can be detected for 80 hours I was so worried until I read your posts and the studies.also I am 150 lbs...I ate a little that day.thank u
    At three standard drinks you should have no EtG at 48 hours. One of the better studies dealing with that amount is Wojcik & Hawthorne. Not sure if I provided that previously, if not please read that through and if you have any questions just ask.

With all the stress and anxiety that 3 drinks seems to have caused, be thankful you didn't drink more. Surely this will dissuade you from drinking at all until you are clear of this testing regimen.

Jan 2, 2012, 05:01 PM
    Tomorrow is my big day.. hopefully I will be back with good results.I was wondering how food or what I ate effects it
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2012, 05:48 PM
    Tomorrow is my big day..hopefully I will be back with good results.I was wondering how food or what I ate effects it
    Food always helps. While your metabolism of alcohol and presumably EtG is rate limited by enzymes food stimulates blood flow to the liver and thereby maximizes your metabolism. This is true prior to drinking, while drinking and after drinking. The composition of the meal has little additional effect. Just so long as you ate something. (Ramanchandi, 2001 also Hahn, 1994)

Jan 4, 2012, 08:41 AM
    Well I had court yesterday and didn't hear anything so no news is good news! I definitely learned my lesson,not worth the stress! Thank you so much for the information,goes to show a lot of people don't know what they are talking about! I've heard no matter how much you drink,it shows for 80 hours,etc but the info you provided is true!Thank you so much!
    spartans3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2012, 08:59 PM
    aseradot: did you pass the test? PLEASE REPLY!!
    LylaToby Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Aug 1, 2012, 09:58 PM
    I am answering this from 100% experience... I hate seeing answers from people who just relay what they've heard and saying it's a FACT...

I am required to randomly take one EtG test per month... The first month, I waited until my random day was called to drink, and obviously I was clean... Once I got a taste of alcohol again, and passing numerous breathalyzers, I got cocky. I started drinking regularly again UP UNTIL THE DAY OF MY NEXT MONTH"S EtG test. I drank about 10 drinks in the course of 4 hours ( 8pm-12am) Monday, and I was randomly called to take the test Tuesday. I flipped out and started researching how to beat the test. It seemed hopeless. Before I went to bed, I drank as much water as I could. I must have drank 2 galloons. I felt sooooo sick. When I woke up Tuesday morning,I continued drinking as much water as I could....I then went to a head shop and bought a kit, intended for stoners, that "removes all toxins from the body." I followed the directions very carefully, and took my EtG test at 4pm Tuesday. I PASSED! I had been free of drinking for only 16 hours. The next month, I went on a three day drinking binge for a wedding and had to take a test 2.5 days later. I probably had 50 hours... I didn't use the detox kit this time- I passed again.

This is 100% the truth. I also have a very fast metabolism, and work out frequently. So I may have just gotten lucky twice, but it's easier not to chance it if you're doing it for court.

Consequently (as you could imagine, I thought I was invinsible after that) and continued my usual drinking. A week later I had a random breathalyzer, and hadn't drank in about 18 hours, and blew a .04... So, it really just depends on where you're getting testing, and what kind of precautions you're taking.

If you DO drink and need to take an EtG, I would definitely recommend as much water as possible (I mean, to where you think you're going to die from drowning yourself) and the detox kit!

Hope this helps :)

Aug 12, 2012, 09:06 AM
    Hey dr bill! I was out with a friend who isn't allowed to drink.she consumed a shot containing pucker,flavored vodka and orange juice.. knowing she shouldn't have done it she tried to throw up but didn't really get much out.. she is really regretting it.how long will that take according to your calculations for an e.g. test... she drank it at about 2am sat night and is flushing with water all day today
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2012, 09:09 AM
    Less than 24 hours. Ave. 13-18

Aug 13, 2012, 12:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by spartans3 View Post
    aseradot: did you pass the test? PLEASE REPLY!!!!!
    Yes I did!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Pass EtG in 75 hours [ 13 Answers ]

25 yr old female weighing 150 lbs. Drank 12 beers 75 hrs ago. Will I pass? Also taking test in the morning.

Will I pass an ETG test after 71 hours? [ 9 Answers ]

I am 6ft 150lbs and I drank 6 beers from 11am until 6pm on Saturday. I have an ETG on Tuesday at 6pm. Will I pass the test?

Drinks to flush alcohol out of system to pass and ETG? [ 0 Answers ]

I have to do a surprise ETG at 6:00pm, I had 2 beers last night, will I pass? What are things I can do to pass?

80 Hour ETG Testing for alcohol [ 1 Answers ]

I took some cold medicine about 40 hours before an EtG test. Is this going to show up on the test.

View more questions Search