Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    farnoosh777 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2011, 04:15 AM
    Moon, earth and sun
    The gravity that sun has on the moon is about 2 times more than the gravity from earth so why doesn't moon run away from earth to sun?
    Please explain by equation!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 20, 2011, 07:32 AM
    The moon is in orbit about both the earth and the sun. Its motion is in equilibrium with both the pull of gravity due to the sun and the pull due to the earth. Note that the moon's mean distance from the sun is the same as the mean distance of the earth to the sun and hence its orbital period about the sun is the same as the earth's (1 year). So it doesn't matter that the sun's gravity is greater on the moon than is the earth's - just as the fact that the moon's gravitational attraction on the earth is significantly less than the sun's.
    farnoosh777 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2011, 07:38 AM
    thanks, but can you explain it by equation?? Or give me a link??
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 20, 2011, 08:29 AM
    The ratio of the gravitational attraction between sun and moon versus earth and moon is:

where:
    = mass of the sun
    = mass of the earth
    = distance from sun to moon
    = distance from earth to moon

Hence the ratio of for the two orbits should also be 2.2:

= 1/365.25 days, = 1/27.3 days, and the ratio is:

So it's all consistent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Aquarius sun, moon in virgo + sun in scorpio, moon in sagittarius [ 11 Answers ]

The title says it all, I'm curious what the relationship between myself, an female aquarius sun with my moon in virgo and someone I'm seeing who's sun is in scoprio and his moon is in sagittarius. We both are right in the middle of our sun signs, meaning neither of us are on the cusp of...

Rate at which moon obits the earth assuming distance between moon and earth is 382,00 [ 3 Answers ]

What is the rate that the moon orbits the earth assuming the distance between the moon and the earth is 382,000,000 meters. Should I derive from Distance=RatexTime?

View more questions Search