Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    missyb716 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2007, 04:59 PM
    Puppy Not Eating
    I have a 8 month old Dogue De Bordeaux and he has not been eating the last couple of days. We did move into a new house last week. He does eat a coupl ebites then just leaves the rest. I was wondering if he is not eating because he needs to adapt to his new surroundings or if I should take him to the vet. He is still eating treats with no problem. He has always been on the same Canidae Dry Dog food since he was born

Worried Mommy.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2007, 07:05 PM
    I am not going to repeat much of what is in the ''My dog won't eat'' sticky, https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post254171 If he has been a good eater, and has now gone a week on nibbles, it may be time to see a vet. It is a judgement call, andmuch depends on knowing your dog. Is there any chance a kind neighbor is making friends with their table scraps?

Once things settle down and he is eating again, I would switch to an adult chow if what you are feeding is a puppy chow. Even the large breed formulations are too rich promoting faster growth than the joints can keep up with. Over weight is bad for developing joints too. I am sure he is already a fine big boy.
    Toby Pierson Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2007, 10:16 AM
    Worried mommy
    It could be possible that your pup is uncomfortable in it's new environment but probably unlikely. Pups are pups and they love to eat! Try changing it's food it may just be bored with the taste. And make sure no one else in your house hold is feeding him/her table scraps! Just one taste of a good thing may throw him/her off. You also might try stopping the treats for a while, in it's mind it might just be holding out for that.
    Good luck!
    Toby
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2007, 10:31 AM
    Switching chows without good reason usually is a bad idea especially in a younger dog. The more different protein sources a dog is exposed to when young, the harder it is to work around them if allergies develop later in life.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My puppy eating [ 1 Answers ]

12/9/06 adopted a lab/hound mix 8 weeks puppy. Came home was eating and drinking fine, but today she is not eating. She seems to be playful and is doing her duties but is not eating. Is this something I should be worried about? Your answer is much appreciated.

New Puppy Barely Eating.. Please Help! [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My name is Jason and yesterday my fiancé and myself picked up a small puppy. He has just been separated from her breed (brothers, sisters, mom and dad) and he has been barely touching her food. I am hand feeding the food to him so he can eat a little. Hes lucky if he eats 7-8 pieces.. I...

6wks puppy not eating [ 3 Answers ]

I have purchased 2 labXgerman sheperd puppies 3 days ago fron a pet store. A little girl & a boy. The male is very tiny but he was playful. I had bought puppy chunks which both refuse to eat. Then I tried a wet puppy food which they ate twice & won't touch. The litlle male is much smaller than the...

8 week old puppy not eating but drinking [ 1 Answers ]

I just brought home an 8 week old Scottish Terrier puppy from a very loving breeder. I'm not sure if he's just too young or what's going on. He ate the first night I brought him home and now he hasn't eaten in the past two days. He drinks plenty of water and is piddling but short of force...

:( Dog/Puppy not eating [ 1 Answers ]

I received a dog/puppy from a person who wasn't taking very good care of here, She refuses to eat dry food, she will only eat fresh meat or canned meat chunks, I've been feeding her porkribs with her dry food, but it's not working so well. Do you know how I can get her to eat dry food?

View more questions Search