Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NancyAnne49 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2011, 02:44 PM
    Brothers fight over mother's ashes?
    The youngest of 4 brothers was sole beneficiary to mother's life insurance. He prevented crematory from billing insurance. Oldest brother had to borrow $1,000 to pay for cremation, 2 weeks after death. He paid for main urn 4 tiny urns, one for each of the 4 brothers. Youngest brother was allowed by crematory to pick up ashes, all 5 urns. He intends to keep it all for himself and will not even tell other 3 brothers what his plans are for the main urn.
    This is wrong on so many levels, but is there any legal recourse?
    Mother had filed Elder Abuse Protective Order against youngest son just before she died.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 19, 2011, 03:06 PM
    What country and/or state is this in?

In general the executor of the estate has authority to determine what happens to the ashes. Did the mother specify an executor (sometime called "personal representative") in a will? If she had no will - has an executor been appointed by the court?

As for the life insurance policy - there is no law that says life insurance must be used to pay for handling the remains. In general the executor would pay for cremation out of the assets of the estate.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 19, 2011, 03:43 PM
    First the brother did not prevent then from filing against insurance, it just is not possible, Life insurance goes to the person listed as on the policy. It is their money and does not have to be sued for any other use.

The other brothers will need to file in probate to try and get the estate to pay the 1000 if there is any money or property in the estate and to get the court to order proper division of the urns.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I learn to fight someone back if I've never been in a fight? [ 4 Answers ]

Well a girl's boyfriend flirts with me a little and it pisses her off. So to get attention she says I'm trying to steal him from her (how pathetic, right?) at first I ignored her b.s. but when she started putting my friends against me she crossed the line. She keeps saying she will knock me out but...

How do I find my brothers ashes [ 1 Answers ]

My brother died in 2002 in America. We have managed to get the death certificate and not the ashes. My mother has retired to Jamacia and we would like his ashes to be buried on our estate. Please can you assist. It has been 8 longs years and it is becoming so frustrating. Please help.

Dads Ashes [ 10 Answers ]

Good Afternoon, I live in ny, My dad passed away just last week and I was never acknowledged that I was his daughter, his girlfriend of 16 yrs was his beneficiary as well as the one who made his arrangements. There was an autopsy done after his death, I guess my question is who has the rights...

My brothers ashes [ 2 Answers ]

My brother died 7/07. His wish was to be buried with our parents and had set aside funds to take care of this task. My brother had medical issues and was alone except for a close friend he had confided in. He left no will and upon his death, his son was left to make the decisions. My brother and...

Brothers Ashes [ 1 Answers ]

Last August my brother passed away. He was divorced, and his 3 boys were minors. We are in CA. My Mother was the next of kin, and so we got his ashes, we paid for the funeral, and have the ashes. We got a court order that his ex wife wants the ashes to be part of the estate, whom she is the...

View more questions Search