Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dlochart Posts: 65, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2007, 03:59 PM
    Would this be considered a charitable gift
    My wife and I would like to donate our time and effort to our church to design, implement, and setup hosting for a church website. We do websites for paying customers as well through our business entity but this year (2007) we will not be conducting as a business.

Is this something we can personally deduct from our taxes and if so is there any special documentation needed to go along with this? Would we work up an invoice and have the church sign it and then have something official as a donation receipt?

We estimate the work to be about $1000.

Thanks any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Doug
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2007, 04:04 PM
    Please wait for a knowledgeable expert to ring in, as I am not, and we have some great resources here concerning taxes, but I can tell you that my cpa told me that in 2007 all charitable donations must be clearly documented. I'm not sure what the change is from before... I know above a certain monetary level documentation was asked about, but he made it sound like any and all tax deductions tied to charity must be now well documented. So if it is elegible you might need to know what documentation is considered adequate.

OK. Now we'll both wait for the real answer to your question.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 11, 2007, 10:44 PM
    Sorry, your time and effort CANNOT be deducted.

Feb 12, 2007, 05:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    Can any materials or yearly hosting fees be deducted? I am a little confused. How come a $1000.00 donation is deductible that they use to pay for a website?

Also does it matter that it's a church? What if it's a non-profit school?

Thanks

Doug
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 12, 2007, 07:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    I really hate to disagree with you, but I'm not so sure about this. If a consultant usually gets a specified fee for services, then donates those services, I thought they could claim a deduction for it.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Feb 12, 2007, 07:57 AM
    I looked into this when I ran a non-profit organization. What Atlanta says here is true. Non gratis labor may be a gift but its not recognised as a deduction. If it were, we'd see tons more pro bono legal work or free medical help out there, me thinks. :rolleyes: LOL

Here is what I found in my files at quick glance from Humanitarian Resource Institute ---

IN-KIND GIFTS & PRO BONO SERVICES

In addition to cash contributions, some companies donate their products to charity-often referred to as "in-kind" gifts-or offer their services on a free "pro bono" basis. Many companies have products that can be used by nonprofits, including products from current inventory, obsolete merchandise, returned or slightly damaged goods, computers, or office furniture and equipment. Nonprofits can also benefit from services provided by a company or its employees, such as printing, legal representation or publication design.

A company's charitable donation of its products can qualify for a charitable deduction. However, limitations exist on what and how much can be deducted. The rules are complicated and require careful prior analysis by corporate or outside counsel.

The value of staff time donated to a nonprofit organization is not deductible, although out-of-pocket expenses (gas, mileage, meals, etc.) for such volunteer work can be deducted within certain limits.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 12, 2007, 08:13 AM
    OK, I better hope I don't get audited then ;)
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2007, 08:16 AM
    In all the years I did volunteer teaching for the American Red Cross, I was never allowed any deduction - not for travel, not for supplies, not for time. Now if I donated cash and got a receipt, yes. I worked as a volunteer consultant for a non profit for two years and was not allowed any deductions. Hopefully the law has changed.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Feb 12, 2007, 08:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    In all the years I did volunteer teaching for the American Red Cross, I was never allowed any deduction - not for travel, not for supplies, not for time. Now if I donated cash money and got a receipt, yes. I worked as a volunteer consultant for a non profit for two years and was not allowed any deductions. Hopefully the law has changed.
    I understood volunteers can be paid mileage for work-related travel but its at some laughable rate like $.18/mile (don't quote me on the actual figure) when the usual rate is much higher. And work-related supplies with a receipt can be deducted too, I thought, but its really safer to turn them in for simple reimbursement. But time? Nope. I guess they figure that if you have the financial resources to be giving your time away for free, then you don't need a tax break for it?
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 12, 2007, 10:38 AM
    While you cannot deduct for time and services, you CAN deduct for out-of-pocket costs (including mileage) incurred while doing volunteer work for a qualified charitable organization.

You just have to be able to prove the costs were in fact incurred while doing the volunteer work.

Feb 12, 2007, 11:22 AM
    Thanks by the way for the information. You know it is a damn shame that the laws are the way they are or this great giving nation of ours could give a whole lot more. We are still going to donate our services but what a better place this would be if it would be encouraged by our government.

Imagine... this may be an answer to provide those without health insurance the ability to get decent health care.

Real quick... if mileage etc can be dedcuted can our donation of web hosting and domain registration (this is a physical purchaseable thing not time ) be deducted.

Thanks again
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 13, 2007, 10:33 AM
    Yes, the actual cost of the web hosting and domain registration CAN be deducted if you can show a separate purchase receipt.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is this considered cheating? [ 12 Answers ]

My husband and I decided to try a three some with another girl four years ago. So when the time came, everything was going well, but suddenly, it seemed like a nightmare. Him and 'her' kept going at it, even though I told him to stop. They were doing it in front of me for two hours straight....

Intolerance, It should be considered a sin? [ 124 Answers ]

Okay, on the thread of reincarnation. Another member brought up an excellent point about intolerance. I was the one that started the thread of reincarnation and it went off topic. Which is expected I guess, but instead of continuing there I think this heading from another member is an excellent...

Am I considered an adult at these circumstances [ 4 Answers ]

Porter County, Indiana My 18th birthday is on July 22nd, just a few more days. Currently I've been on juvenile probation since last September. I understand that when I reach 18 I have reached "age of majority" and I am legally allowed to vote, sign binding contract, and take full...

Charitable Contributions [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Gospel Music Band. I have not applied for non-profit status although the real income is much less the $10,000 a year. An individual has expressed a desire to donate a Bus for us to travel in, however, they would like to write it off as a donation to this ministry. Is this possible?

View more questions Search