Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    missy_13k Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2011, 05:34 PM
    "Evicting" a family non-tenant in winter
    My mother owns a home, has moved in with me as she is unable to financially or physically maintain her property. Her sister is living in my mother's home, has been there about 3 years, only the last 3 months without my mother. She is just paying the utilities (her own usage) and no rent, or anything else. We just requested that she move out by January 31, 2012 as the house is being listed and we want it vacant at that time. She says she can't be 'evicted' in the wintertime. There is no rental agreement as it was a verbal agreement that she could live there and pay the household bills until the property sold. Given her uncooperative nature, we want her out for when the property is listed. The home is in Ontario. Does she have any tenant or other rights here?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 17, 2011, 05:52 PM
    No, but you do have to evict her formally through the courts if she fails to leave.
    You might want to list it with her in it for a few months anyway, because someone will have to keep it heated and lit if it's for sale. And not many sales happen in the winter. You could perhaps write a contract until March 1 in which she has to pack most of her possessions and keep them neatly in one room, and be ready to move after the house is sold, since closings take some weeks. You don't say how nice or awful the place looks with her there. Empty houses also don't sell as well as furnished ones.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 17, 2011, 06:03 PM
    Oh, and of course it's your mother who has to evict her. Maybe she should give you some Power of Attorney.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 17, 2011, 09:02 PM
    Joy is right, an occupied house will sell faster. But there is no law that someone can't be evicted in the winter.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 17, 2011, 09:06 PM
    Agree, you will have to evict though the courts. And why not charge her rent if she is living there ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NJ: Evicting Tenant Not On Lease Living in Family Owned House [ 4 Answers ]

Trying to get some help for my parents. They own a 2 family house. They live on the first floor and rented out the second floor a couple of years ago. A lease was never signed, so the family living on the second floor are living there month to month. My parents want to evict them because of the...

Evicting a Tenant [ 5 Answers ]

I rent a room in my long Is home. My tenant is behind and I can no longer wait. I want him out,and I can't afford a lawyer! What are the steps I need to do? Also can I type up an eviction notice myself and give it to him?

Evicting tenant [ 2 Answers ]

We went to dillion county and paid for an order that was received by the tenet to vacate the property for non payment of rent. Once sge received this notice she was to be out in 15 days. Of course, this did not happen sowe returned to the court house and paid for a 24 hour notice and she has not...

Evicting a tenant [ 1 Answers ]

I have a tenant that I would like to have them move out. They have never signed a lease with me. Do I have to have them leagally evicted before the court even though they never signed a lease with me or is there another way to have them leave?

Leasing Tenant evicting another Tenant [ 1 Answers ]

What is required by the court in the state of Michigan for a listed Tenant to Evict a non listed Tenant on a lease/land contract when the non listed Tenant pays the monthly rent, and all utilities are in non listed tenants name at the residents and both have been a resident from day one and the...

View more questions Search