Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    achal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2011, 11:00 AM
    combination and probability
    There are k sets of numbers : {0,1,2,. m1}, {0,1,2,. m2},. {0,1,2,. mk}
    Such that m1<m2<... <mk.
    1. How many combinations of k elements can be made taken 1 element from each set such that each set has all distinct elements (no two elements are equal) ?
    2. What is the probability that any two sets will have at least one element common ?
    (Please provide procedure and explanation)
    I have found that the number of such permutations will be (m1+1)m2(m3-1)......(mk-k+2), but what will be the number of combinations ? Clearly it can not be just = No. of permutations / k!
    N.B. - Please mention the rule/formula used so that I can learn them.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 21, 2011, 10:32 AM
    You asked: "What is the probability that any two sets will have at least one element common," but that doesn't seem like what you were trying to actually figure out. It seems you want to determine is many combinations of digits you can get where (a) there are no repeated digits in the number, and (b) order is ignored. Thus the number 1234 is considered to be the same as 2134, and hence one of those is discounted - correct? Once you have this number you easily calculate the probability that you're looking for.

I don't think there is a single formula for this. To find out how many unique sets there are you need to use a series of nested sums that would look like this:

where there is a nested sum for each of the k sets. Here's an example: if you have four sets of numbers like this:

Then m1=1, m2=3, m3=4 and m4=6, so you have:

As a, b, c and d cycle through their ranges you get this:

Hence a total of N=23 possibilities of unique combinations with no repeated digits. The specific combinations are:
    0123, 0124, 0125, 0126, 0134, 0135, 0136, 0145, 0146, 0234, 0235, 0236, 0245, 0246, 0345, 0346, 1234, 1235, 1236, 1245, 1246, 1345, 1346

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Geometric probability, conditional probability with area of square [ 2 Answers ]

Chose a point at random in a square with sides 0<x<1 and 0<y<1. Let X be the x coordinate and Y be the y coordinate of the point chosen. Find the conditional probability P(y<1/2 / y>x).

Color combination? [ 3 Answers ]

I don't know what happened to the topic I posted some time ago but it looks like it got deleted so I'll post the same question again.. I have these yellow/black skate shoes and I was wondering if they would go well together with green or red tight pants? If they would what colors should I wear...

What's my Combination? [ 8 Answers ]

So my daughter came home with this homework that's just for fun, and we were all stumped, I'm wondering if anyone can help me with the correct answers. There are 3 groups of #'s, you must use one # from each group and the total sum must be 99. You can't use any of the #s more than one time....

Probability- How to tell the difference between combination, independent events etc. [ 4 Answers ]

On my exam my teacher isn't going going to state what type of problem it is. He is going to put questions based on probability, independent-dependent events, mutually/non mutually events, pemutations and combinations. These questions are all going to be mixed up and I have trouble identifying the...

Combination Permutation? [ 3 Answers ]

In how many ways can the batting order be determined for a coed softball team w/ five women and four men if a) there are no restrictions b) the women must all bat first c) the first and ninth batters must be men

View more questions Search