Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Grrma Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2011, 10:12 AM
    Why does my cakes come out spongy and tough?
    Sometimes my cakes end up sponge like, full of small holes and a tough texture.

Thanks for any help.

Grrma
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 17, 2011, 11:41 AM
    Could be not enough mixing, stinting on good ingredients like eggs, using cake and pastry flour instead of all purpose. Your oven may be the culprit, and of course, what type of cakes do you like to make?
    Ccotter Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2011, 04:32 AM
    That sounds like you didn't mix it for long enough. I would always sift flour as it allows air through and will make the cakes lighter. Eggs should always be whisked prior to being mixed into your main mix. And if the mix is too tough then I would ask did you put a little too much sugar in it... That can make things tough too...
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Dec 28, 2011, 08:52 PM
    To me, it sounds like you are over cooking them ion one side...
    10longj Posts: 12, Reputation: -1

Jul 22, 2012, 08:17 AM
    After mixing the mixture, try putting it in the blender for a little bit, and make sure that there are no lumps of butter.
    Expert

Jul 22, 2012, 08:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 10longj View Post
    after mixing the mixture, try puting it in the blender for a little bit, and make sure that there are no lumps of butter.
    Butter is usually creamed in with the sugar, therefore no lumps.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2012, 09:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 10longj View Post
    after mixing the mixture, try puting it in the blender for a little bit, and make sure that there are no lumps of butter.
    Would you post your source for this? It's my understanding that putting it in a blender will make it tough from too much beating, over beating.
    Shakeh Posts: 25, Reputation: 3

Aug 4, 2012, 12:56 PM
    This was an advice from my Grandmother that after beating and mixing well the cake mixture and after pouring it into the pan shake your cake pan carefully two or three times before putting it into oven because this will make the air bubbles disappear and you will have a smooth and slick cake.
    Expert

Aug 4, 2012, 02:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakeh View Post
    This was an advice from my Grandmother that after beating and mixing well the cake mixture and after pouring it into the pan shake your cake pan carefully two or three times before putting it into oven because this will make the air bubbles disappear and you will have a smooth and slick cake.
    Yes good advice and it also settles the cake to rise evenly
    zaheboum Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2012, 07:54 PM
    Flour mixed with yeast, the yeast will break down flour starch and produce carbon dioxide. When the dough is heated, the carbon dioxide will expand out to the formation of pores in the dough.
    Expert

Dec 20, 2012, 09:41 AM
    We are not talking about yeast and flour. We are talking about cakes which use baking powder.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2012, 09:47 AM
    You use yeast when you bake a cake?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why are cakes so dense? [ 6 Answers ]

I tried it twice but my carrot cake just isn't fluffy and spongy. It is very dense with less volume.what am I doing wrong?

Tough, Tough, Sport. Respect Is Due [ 2 Answers ]

This sport is very tough. I have always had much respect for triathletes. I would love to discuss the sport further with the athletes themselves.

Spongy soil on the foundation [ 4 Answers ]

Here's my newest issue: A few weeks ago, I noticed that a portion of my foundation was being exposed due to erosion. The basic issue was that the rain runoff was running down the sides of the house and wearing off the dirt. I went to speak to a local supplier about the issue and they...

Scrub Cakes [ 3 Answers ]

Is 11 yrs age difference too much

Cake spongy but dry! [ 8 Answers ]

I made a cake the other day. It was a Betty Crocker super moist white cake. Liquid Ingredients: 1 1/4 cups water 1/3 cup oil 3 Eggs whites. I baked it for 28 minutes in a 13" x 9" pan.

View more questions Search