Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    David1950 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2011, 08:27 AM
    Return of my Funds , taken from my Bank by NYS
    Almost $6000.00 was taken by N.why.S. For 3 years of inactivity. Every 3rd of the month. I go to this same bank and cash my SS Ck. For $1375.00. This month I went to cash my ck. And was told that my account was Closed due to not using it for three years. You HAVE to have an account at at this bank to even cash a check. When I cash this ck. Each month, doesn't this show activity? The bank did the paper work on-line and was told that I would have my money returned with-in a week. It has been more than a week already. Can you tell me when I can expect this money to be returned? Thank-You
    Dr1757 Posts: 186, Reputation: 25

Dec 17, 2011, 08:44 AM
    I believe all banks are required to close accounts after a period time when there is no activity i.e.: no deposits or checks written. In Texas the money moves to the state and it takes a while to get it back, Cashing a monthly SS check does not constitute account activity.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 17, 2011, 11:48 AM
    Yes all banks close accounts after a period if there is no activity.
    No cashing your check is not activity, Deposit money in, or taking money out is activity. They will have it returned shortly.
    aliseaodo Posts: 1,671, Reputation: 259
    Movie Expert

Feb 22, 2012, 02:03 PM
    When I worked as a bank teller, we had the same sort of issue arise for one of our customers - they ended up depositing a penny every time they cashed their check, and then withdrawing it immediately after...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nys tax return for j1 [ 1 Answers ]

On a J1 visa I filled out a 1040 NREZ with the tax ememptions for tax treaty for foreign Country, How do I reflect this on IT 203 ( I believe that is the correct form)

What to do with tax return funds? [ 2 Answers ]

I expect to receive approx 20k tax refund of which 5k will pay off credit cards. The remainder I'm not sure to go to my money market acct. with my stock broker or payoff my 14k equity line. My money market acct. is probably generating 9% interest and my eq.line is 8%. Credit cards balances I...

Bank funds garnished [ 5 Answers ]

I just learned that my accounts have been garnished because of a student loan issued by the school not PHEAA has not been paid. How do I get them to remove the levy? Do I make a payment arrangement and the accounts are unfrozen? How does this work?? :eek:

View more questions Search