Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RetiredLE Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2011, 09:50 PM
    GE Electric Motor hook up question.
    Here is a puzzle for yeah,

I have a GE 2 HP capacitor start electric motor. Model # 5KC49QG525, 60hz, 1725 rpm, single phase, serial number BGL.

It is currently not hooked up to electric power so I have no idea what it was using, 115 or 230. It has six wires coming out of it. Three are hooked up with twist connectors to a short four foot length of armored cable and the other three are loose - but appear to have been connected to something at one time.

The motor is bolted up to a belt drive power unit that used to drive a metal lathe. The lathe has a control box on it with forward, off, and reverse switches on it – obviously to control the motor. Two wires come from the control box on the lathe and run through a short section of armored cable which isn't connected to anything.

Any ideas?

Mike
    Attached Images

donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Dec 17, 2011, 08:13 AM
    First of all, get that nameplate back on the motor if you have not already done so, please. It is a violation of code and UL to remove that label.

Next, The Armored Cable, what are the color codes of the wires that connect to the motor?

Are you trying to repair this motor, in which case we need to know how it failed.

Is this motor being used as a 120 volt motor or a 240 volt motor? Normally a 240 volt motor runs more efficiently.

Article 430 of the NEC discusses the installation of motors.

You need to review the information in that section to determine the proper planning for the circuit if you are going to use the motor for anything else.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Dec 17, 2011, 08:38 AM
    See if anything on this site helps: Motor Connection Diagrams
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2011, 08:53 AM
    Are the wires marked with numbers 1,2,3,4,5, and 8?
    RetiredLE Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2011, 07:37 PM
    The wires are all black and they are numbered. The three wires which are attached to wire nuts and are routed inside the armored cable are T4, T1, and T5. The three short wires which were at one time connected to something are T2, T3 and J10. Photo attached.

The nameplate will be re-installed - although as a private citizen I don't think I fall under the same guideline or restrictions as say for example a licensed electrician would. I equate that to removing the tag on my feather pillow. :p)

Thanks for the motor diagram link.
    Attached Images

tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2011, 07:07 AM
    Excellent link,Stan...

Quote Originally Posted by stanfortyman View Post
    See if anything on this site helps: Motor Connection Diagrams
    So good I am going to print out and give to my service techs.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2011, 08:09 AM
    What wires are in the Whip?
    Are 3 of the wires unmarked?
    Thinking the whip is from the supply and the wires in the compartment is for reversing?
    J10 being common?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Dec 18, 2011, 09:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    The nameplate will be re-installed - although as a private citizen I don't think I fall under the same guideline or restrictions as say for example a licensed electrician would. I equate that to removing the tag on my feather pillow.
    I beg to differ on the issue of removing the nameplate. Unlike a pillows label, there is quite a bit of information on that nameplate that is needed to determine such things a over current protection for the feeders, the phase that must be used, which table to use to identify the "Full Motor Current".

It is not about a personal issue, it is about making sure the needed information to complete the installation stays on the motor.

Also, if you remove the motor nameplate, how do you know that the motor is the correct size for installation.

Being a private citizen doesn't mean you have to be a foolish private citizen.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do I hook up my AC blower motor [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1/8 hp, single phase, 2 speed blower motor to hook up. 4 wires come off the motor 1 orange, 1 black, 1 red, 1 brown. I do not know how to wire it with the capacitor. There is a orange and a black wire coming from the air unit. The old motor had 2 orange wires and one of them went to...

How to hook up 2 water heater in series? Electric [ 3 Answers ]

Due to space I have 2/ 20 gallon eletic how do I pipe them?

How to hook a ac fan motor to a capacitor [ 3 Answers ]

I replaced my ac fan motor my original had three wires purple,brown and black,the new motor has 4wires yellow,black,brown,and brown white. I have a dual capacitor that has common,herm and fan how do I connect the wires to the capacitor.

Mobile electric hook ups [ 1 Answers ]

Im up grading a100amp electric on a trailer ,and I need to know what a the grounding system shoud look like, diagram

How to hook-up a thermastate to an electric furnace [ 2 Answers ]

I have a new instalation of an electric furnace. The main power id done. How do I hook-up the thermostate?

View more questions Search