Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AaronL Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2011, 09:33 PM
    Rheem Gas Furnace RGPH-05NAUER - Blower Motor does not run -
    Hi,

I received some great help here before with my plumbing so I'm back to solve a furnace problem. Thanks for looking.

Unit Information:
    Rheem RGPH-05NAUER
    Serial # FD5D302F310005868
    Natural Gas, Induced draft, upflow/horizontal
    Installed in the year 2000

2 days ago the blower motor stopped working. I referenced the owners manual and used the troubleshooting flowchart to diagnose the problem. I climbed up into the attic access hole and found the furnace so I was able to verify all the operations with my own eyes. After following all the steps the flowchart indicates "replace blower motor."

I completed the following steps up in the attic
    1. Set thermostat for heat
    2. Induced draft motor starts (
    3. Spark energizes (I can hear the clicking sound)
    4. Main burners light (I can see the clean blue flames from both burners)
    5. Indoor blower DOES NOT start (20 sec. After main burner ignites)
    6. Test IFC (Integrated Furnace Control) for 120 volts between HEAT and COMMON terminals. Confirmed 120VAC between HEAT and COMMON terminals. Flowchart indicates "replace blower motor."

I called a few HVAC repair techs. This being Friday afternoon, I only reached 1 on the phone. He suggested that I try to identify if the "start capacitor" was faulty by trying to spin the motor by hand to get it to start. I will try this tonight.

Without seeing the unit himself, he quoted $475 to replace the blower motor. When asked, he said the parts cost would be $150-175.

Does his advice seem accurate?

Is there anything else I can check?

Thanks,
    Aaron

Dec 16, 2011, 09:38 PM
    For reference, I am located in Orange County, CA.

How difficult would it be to change the blower motor myself? I am very comfortable with automotive repairs but have yet to repair any HVAC appliances.

Dec 16, 2011, 11:20 PM
    I just tested again to see if the capacitor could be at fault. I was able to get the blower motor started if I spun it by hand. When I did that (after the draft inducer started, burners ignited and burning) the motor would spin up to full speed on its own and the heater operated normally.

I am going to look for a replacement capacitor now. Hopefully I Can get it at a local supply house tomorrow and have the heat working. It's cold here (for us Californians... ) in the low 40s at night.

rodri Posts: 48, Reputation: 8

Dec 17, 2011, 06:50 AM
    I'm glad you found the problem. Usually when the capacitor goes bad its just a matter of time for the motor to go bad. They are not hard to replaced

Dec 17, 2011, 10:12 AM
    What's involved with replacing the motor? It looks like this one would have to come out through the side. I didn't see an access from the top of the unit.

Dec 19, 2011, 01:30 AM
    Bought a replacement capacitor for $15 and solved the problem.
    rodri Posts: 48, Reputation: 8

Dec 19, 2011, 05:50 AM
    Nice
    edgarcalzada Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2013, 06:44 AM
    I have the same furnace the igniter work but not flames can any body help me
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 25, 2013, 07:01 AM
    First thing is to clean the flame sensor. It is located opposite the ignitor across the venturis . Remove it and polish with fine sandpaper or coarse steel wool. If that doesn't work you then need to start testing components.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rheem Gas Furnace RGPH - Blower Motor does not run - [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, I received some great help here before with my plumbing so I'm back to solve a furnace problem. Thanks for looking. Unit Information: Rheem RGPH-05NAUER Serial # FD5D302F310005868 Natural Gas, Induced draft, upflow/horizontal Installed in the year 2000

Rheem gas furnace blower motor keeps running [ 1 Answers ]

My Rheem furnace model UDGE-06NLAER blower motor keeps running After I changed filter It always stops after 5-10 min. usually but this time . Is the time delay circuit board defectived ?

Rheem furnace blower motor won't run [ 0 Answers ]

Hi. I have a Rheem Classic 90 Plus Series Contour Furnace and the blower motor will not run. The A/C will turn on, and I can hear the gas ignite, but no fan or blower motor. Removed the cover and the display on the circuit board flashes 81, 68, 81, 68 then solid F for about 4 seconds then...

Rheem Heater RGPH 05NAUER start trouble light codes [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I have the above heating unit which has failed to start today. It appears to be getting power. The two green LEDs are on and when the thermostat says it is "system on" the left green flashes in groups of 4 flashes and pauses and repeats. About a month ago we had a startup problem and...

View more questions Search