Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    computer22 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2011, 08:56 PM
    How can I restore my files if I did not create a backup?
    How can I restore my files because I went on a file and I right clicked it and I went to "open with" and went to "choose default program" so I actidently clicked on internet explorer and forgot to check the box and now ALL of my files is internet explorer. The worst part is I didn't create a backup. How can I restore my files?
    mandrea09 Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2012, 07:49 PM
    Depends on the operating system. However, you should be able to go into the control panel and set your file associations back to default. If you go to control panel on windows 7, and go to default programs, choose the second option to associate a file type or protocol with a particular program. If you do not have windows 7, there is a way to restore your file extensions through deleting a file in your registry but I highly recommend not doing this unless you are experienced. I would also back up your registry before making any changes. Please refer to this kb article from Microsoft on the steps to fix this, and as I said before, ONLY do this if you are experienced, if not, have someone else who is do it. Good luck.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950505

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I restore a start menu program in Windows XP from a backup [ 2 Answers ]

I have to reinstall windows, and need to create a backup of my hard drive. I'm looking for some specific backup software. Something that would let me restore start menu programs from the backup to my computer after the reinstall, without me having to reinstall them from CDs/DVD's or compressed...

Restore Nero Burning Rom Backup Discs [ 4 Answers ]

I've used Nero to create a series of backup discs for all My Documents files and digital photos before formatting my desktop. Now that I've formatted and want to restore the discs, I installed Nero onto my laptop and tried to use the restore wizard feature in the program but cannot get it to work....

How to restore backup in linux taken by TAR Command [ 6 Answers ]

Hiiiii I'm new in linux. In my office I have taken baukup of Oracle data using Tar files. Now my mangaer tell me to resotre one of the data from tape. So can you tell the command for restornig backup. Usually for backup I use command Tar -rvf /dev/st0 /Folder name

Backup files [ 1 Answers ]

I am running Windows XP Home on my Dell and I need to back up some files to CD. It has been so long since I've done it I can't remember how! Where is the back up program that allows you to pick which ones you want to send to CD? Thanks:confused:

Unwanted backup(?) files/"ghost" files [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I have been getting these strange files that activate when I open Microsoft word documents. They are like shadow files. And also they appear in My Photo section too. Here is some information I have copied from the property boxes of the files. I have done virus scans on these "ghost"...

View more questions Search