Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BILLYHUGHES Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2011, 08:19 PM
    Father's right to his daughter when mother abandons child
    Recently my daughters mother and I split apart.she is 6 yrs old and I have been in her life the whole time.the problem is her mother doesn't want her and has given permission to the grandmother to watch her.I talk on the phone with my daughter but am not allowed to visit with her.what can I do to get full custody?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 17, 2011, 04:40 AM
    Go to court and file for it. Is the child in the same state as when you broke up ?

If so you file in that state. If the mother fled and it has been less then 6 months you can file in the state where the child lived for the last 6 months.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 17, 2011, 07:26 AM
    Define "permission"? If you are the child's legal father then the mother can't just give permission. A court has to approve the guardianship of the child.

If you are the legal father you can, theoretically, go and pick up the child and there isn't a lot the grandparents can do about it. But it would probably be best if you go to court and get an order of custody.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nonmarried father's rights when mother abandons child with grandparent [ 5 Answers ]

The child's mother left daughter with maternal grandmother and has been on a drinking binge for 6 days. Now the maternal grandmother is refusing to bring the child home to me. The child's mother and I were never married and I would like to know what I need to do in order to get my child back from...

Mother vs. Daughter over child visitation [ 0 Answers ]

My daughter signed custody of her then 9 month old daughter over to me. That was almost two years ago. Court order states that I have the final say about where and for how long my daughter can take the child. So far visitation has always been at my home , whenever and how long my daughter...

If a father abandons a child but pays his child support on time? [ 8 Answers ]

The father of this child has not gone to get him because of financial difficulties in supporting two different families. He has no intention of continuing a relationship with the child that he pays child support for. He feels that it is not fair that two of his children suffer so badly while the...

Mother abandons children at mall Movie/book [ 3 Answers ]

There is a book I read in school, and I also watched the movie. It was about a mother who suddenly picks up her kids in the middle of the night. She takes them out to the mall and say she will be right back. At about 10 at night the oldest child a girl decides their mother isn't coming back for...

Father's visitation when mother leaves the state with the child [ 2 Answers ]

My husband has a 13 year old daughter with his ex wife. The separated 12 1/2 years ago. He has been a part of his daughters life and they are VERY close, until almost 2 years ago when his ex got offered a good job in chicago, we all lived in New York. When she decided to leave she did not discuss...

View more questions Search