Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ppotter Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2007, 12:17 PM
    Received a check in the mail for sweepstakes
    We received a check for $2962.00 from APSCO Sports Enterprises drawn on JP Morgan Bank, N.A. in New York. This seems to be real check with watermarks on the back and came with a letter stating we had won $50,000 and this check was to pay the taxes. Is it legal to cash this check? Has anyone heard of this and is it a scam?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 11, 2007, 12:41 PM
    Sounds almost too good to be true, right? You are about to be scammed. I don't know what their angle is but I'd start by calling your states attorney's fraud department. You might want to present your check to a JP Morgan or Chase bank and ask them to verify the check.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Feb 11, 2007, 12:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    Sounds almost too good to be true, right? You are about to be scammed. I don't know what their angle is but I'd start by calling your states attorney's fraud department. You might want to present your check to a JP Morgan or Chase bank and ask them to verify the check.
    This is a good idea. Maybe call the APSCO Sports Enterprise people too, just in case they can enlighten as well.

APSCO Sports Enterprises
    50th St And 1st Ave Ldg 57 T A
    Brooklyn, NY , 11232
    Phone: 718-965-9500
    FAX: 718-965-3088
    Business Activity: Importer

Products Description:
    Screen printing on fabric
    jeffp Posts: 30, Reputation: 7

Feb 11, 2007, 01:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ppotter
    We received a check for $2962.00 from APSCO Sports Enterprises drawn on JP Morgan Bank, N.A. in New York. This seems to be real check with watermarks on the back and came with a letter stating we had won $50,000 and this check was to pay the taxes. Is it legal to cash this check? Has anyone heard of this and is it a scam?
    Don't CASH IT. CONTACT THE COMPANY ON THE CHECK AND ASKED THEM IF IT IS REAL. BUT DON'T CASH IT.

My company was recently contacted by someone on the other side of the country who had a company check for several thousand dollars that they had received as a "sweepstakes". A family member saw the check and thought it was suspicious. The prize came with a letter that said to cash the check and send a "fee" and then they would get more money. One person even got repeated calls from the sweepstakes people pressuring her to cash the check and send the fee.

It's a scam. The check was a check someone had lost and the thief used a process called "washing" that removed the payee and amount and they inserted another name and increased the amount.

Obviously when we learned of it and other checks that were being cash on the account we closed the account and the bank went after the people taking the money back from their accounts and pressing charges of fraud against them if they spent the money. The ones who paid the "fee" were stung as they lost that money and had to pay back the prize.

If you didn't enter the contest then be very cautious about about it.
    ppotter Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2007, 01:23 PM
    Yes, it does certainly seem to good to be true. I did actually call APSCO at the number listed on the check (different from the number listed on their website) but received a message that the voicemail was full (probably the other million people that received a check). I also the verification number and of course the person that answered said it was legimate and we would receive our check, but still seems suspicious. What's really weird is that APSCO and JP MOrgan Chase Bank on check is in NY, the letter says the drawing was in Ireland, the confirmation letter is from the Virgin Islands but the postmark is First Class from Canada. I'm sure it's a scam, but not sure how they would work this one, since they ask for no fees or purchases. We will definitely be calling the bank and APSCO tomorrow. Thanks ballingerb, jeffp and vallinoirs_sorrow for your advise!
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2007, 01:45 PM
    It sure is a scam - my nephew almost fell for that too. Thankfully he had the wits to tell my brother and my brother called the Attorney General's office. If you EVER get something like that - you would have remembered entering the contest and it would be an honest postmark and a legitimate number to call.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 11, 2007, 02:51 PM
    It is a old scam they send you a fake check for ( in this case taxes) or over payment for some item and you are to cash it and then send it back to them in a money order or perhaps by western union.

It takes the check a couple weeks to be found fake and by that time you owe the bank all the money back.

It is not illegal to depoisit it, but don't spend any of it at all for at least 2 months and see if the check don't bounse ( you will pay a bounce check fee most likely on your account)

If this was real, they would notify you of the check, and on a big award the IRS meets you with a rep at the place you get your check and arranges the taxes to be paid. ( What happens to lottery winners) or you actually only get the check amount after taxes you claim.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Received a Check in the Mail for Sweepstakes? [ 6 Answers ]

We just received a $2,900.00 check from First Citizens Bank (cashiers check). I know the Lotto is a scam, but is this check real? It has watermarks and all other security features. Is it legal to cash this check?

An odd email I received... [ 2 Answers ]

Hello again to any psychics who want to tackle this one: I got a very odd email this week about the money problems I've been having - but not to the same email that is attached to this Forum. The email basically states that, if I write out my goals on a piece of paper in great detail and then...

Haven't received a 1099-MISC [ 3 Answers ]

I worked last year as a consultant for a small company. I haven't received a 1099-MISC from them, though I'm certain they will report my income. Frankly, I'm concerned that without significant badgering I won't ever see the 1099-MISC. Any suggestions for getting them to hurry things up? Can I file...

More information sent than received [ 2 Answers ]

Whenever I log onto thr internet using a dial up connection I find that more info is being sent than received, at least twice as much. There is activity even when on a static page. I have run Norton Anti-Virus, Ad-Aware and Spybot but nothing shows up. Do I have a problem and if so what can I do...

Spell Check in e mail [ 2 Answers ]

I have a fairly new Dell computer. I am running Outlook Express. I have Word Perfect and Microsft Word in my system yet I cannot get the "Spell Check" to work in my e mail (it will not highlite). Any ideas? Thanks!

View more questions Search