Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CheyRR Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2011, 12:05 PM
    Selling my car to a family member
    I am selling my car to my nephew. I will retain the title until he pays off what he owes. Do I just give him a bill of sale to take to the DMV in order for him to get the taxes and tags or what?

We have an agreement that if he doesn't pay for the vehicle, I will be able to repossess it, but I'm unsure about the paperwork he needs to bring to the tax assessors and the DMV.

Please help!
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2011, 12:15 PM
    You typically put a LIEN on the title... but let them retitle it... if he fails to pay for it, the lien allows you to recover the vehicle.

You can also require him to carry full coverage insurance in case he wrecks it or it gets stolen.

If you hold the title... and he proceeds to get drunk and mow down a crowd of people at a bus stop at 90 mph... you are going to be in for a legal battle.

Where do you live... specifics can allow someone to give you a better answer.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 16, 2011, 12:46 PM
    No, if you keep the title in your name, you have to have the license and the taxes and the insurance in your name.

You can let him buy it from you, but you will keep it titled and insured under your name.

If you want it in his name ( so you are not liable for anything) then you sell it to him, make out a loan document and put a lien on the vechile.

Then you can repo if he does not pay.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Selling an old house that was given to me by a family member. [ 3 Answers ]

My Mother gave me an old house she had that she no longer lived in, she was using it for storage and decided to give it to me so that I could fix it up and live in it. The house isn't in the best shape, it needs a lot of work and needs new appliances. I do not want the house anymore, but have no...

Family member will not leave with his family and my mom died and I am the exector. [ 1 Answers ]

Mother died and I am the executor of the will. Brother and family have lived with Mom for six months. This was suppose to be temporary. Mom never wanted him in the house and told the other family members he better not live in my house and under no cicumstances do I want him to live here. Have not...

Co-owned property selling/transferring my half to another family member [ 1 Answers ]

We co-own a piece of property with a hunting camp on it with my brother. My parents would like to purchase my "share". How do I go about changing the deed to reflect this?

How long does it normally take for a family member to adopt another family member [ 6 Answers ]

:confused: I am in the process of adopting my nephew. I have had him since he was born and started the adoption in 05 I did home study, background check, etc in first year. Two years later I got transfer of custody. It is now going on the third year and the adoption is still not final. How long...

Eviction of a family member from a single family home [ 2 Answers ]

My brother who is about 37 years old lives with my father, sister and myself; my brother is an alcoholic and a drug addict and is verbally abusive to my father who is 71 years old and is also disabled. My father wants him to move out of the house; is there a specific amount of time, by law, that...

View more questions Search