Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cowboy1973 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2007, 12:05 PM
    Air handler
    My, carrier indoor air handler keep shorting out low voltage transformers. I've replaced 2 of them, the system will run for about 5 hrs. before it shorts out. Thanks.
    2laredos Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2007, 02:42 PM
    Check Wiring Going To The Condenser ( Outside Unit) Somewhere There Are Touching Wires 24 Volt Going To The Air Handler. Use A Multimeter If You Can.
    KidChaos Posts: 45, Reputation: 3

Jun 30, 2012, 09:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboy1973 View Post
    My, carrier indoor air handler keep shorting out low voltage transformers. I've replaced 2 of them, the system will run for about 5 hrs. Before it shorts out. Thanks.
    Its easier to simply run new low voltage wire to the condensing unit,
    It takes almost zero experience, its 2 wires to the condesing unit, and 1 of them(common) can be grounded! So its pretty easy to say what's grounding, just not where precisely, its easier and better to replace the wires as they are touching a metal penetration usually and barely /intermittantly allowing a slow bake, this is if your transformers big enough? What VA are you using? And what's the amp draw when energized in ac mode? If you have a 40VA its about a 1.75 amp capacity before it bakes, I use 75VA transformers on everything and they even have a resettable circuit breaker on the 24v supply side if it blows no biggee! Better get one!too

Jun 30, 2012, 09:16 PM
    Now I remember a unit with debris that fell into the contactors coil and allowed a high amp draw to exist but not bad enough to smoke it instantly, some shorts happen in specific modes like heat lumps but AC alone is 2 wires Y or yellow from the tstat and C or common on the transformer as easy as it gets!

Jun 30, 2012, 09:18 PM
    Basically chack the amp draw on the trnasformer after its fired up, then see if the contactor coils shorted or going bad? A contactor a few capacitors and a coil cleaning will stop most AC emergencys, oh yes a few time delay fuses too simple cheap DIY things that you kick yourself for after calling a guy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New air handler hook up [ 2 Answers ]

I have a burnam oil fired boiler w/ 2 air handlers for both heating and cooling. I am adding a 3rd air handler it's the same as my others but newer and has a circuit board instead of selinoids and relays The air handler is a First Co model #36HBXB-HW, a TACO571-2 zone valve and a Robertshaw 9400...

Air handler doesn't start [ 2 Answers ]

My air conditioning unit outside will be running, but the air handler in the garage will not start. I have to turn off the thermostat and turn it back on to get the handler to start. Is there a switch or valve on the handler that can be replaced? It is a Janitrol

Air handler leaking [ 1 Answers ]

My air conditioning air handler is located upstairs in my two story townhome. I noticed the air handler is leaking water... it leaks from under the area where you change the filer. I noticed there is no water leaking from the pipe outside. I put a bucket under the unit for now... is this serious?

Need help rewiring Airtemp Air Handler [ 1 Answers ]

I purchase a home that has a Airtemp Air Handler in the attic. The unit has to be completely rewired. I have the fan contact,it has wires at top(one green, one brown). I take it that this is the input voltage. It has 2 red wires coming out of the coil. I think these are 24V. There is a 24V...

Buzzing from air handler [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Hoping for info concerning a buzzing sound coming from air handler. We live in a high-rise building(24 floors). We are on a building wide system with air handlers in each room. Small bedroom unit has history about this time each year(last 5) that start buzzing. Past years maintenance would...

View more questions Search