Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    buster24 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2007, 11:05 AM
    Hampton Bay ceiling fan and light
    Our wall-mounted light switch no longer turns the light on. We have to flip the switch on, then walk over to the remote (in the dark) push the button off, then on again for it to work.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 11, 2007, 12:50 PM
    There is nothing wrong with your wall switch. If you shut off the light with the remote you must turn it on with the remote. The wall switch should be left on to send power to the fans receiver. If you want to use your wall switch then turn the light on with the remote and leave it on. Then the wall switch can turn it on/off.

Feb 11, 2007, 04:13 PM
    I know the light needs to be on from the remote. The light does not EVER come on with the switch when the remote has it on. The only time we shut the wall switch is in the morning when we leave the room. At night, we have to switch it on and find the remote in the dark, shut the light off from the remote and turn it on again.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2007, 06:34 PM
    With many fans, you have to leave the wall switch on all the time and control the fan only from the remote. It won't remember your settings.

Feb 12, 2007, 02:11 PM
    I've tried that. It still does not work!!
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2007, 02:24 PM
    I thought you said in your first message, if the wall switch is on, you can turn the light on using the remote. You have to leave the wall switch on.

Feb 12, 2007, 06:40 PM
    It used to turn it on before. In the morning, I would turn on the light with the remote and shut it off with the switch when I left the room. At night, I would turn it on with the switch, then shut it off when I was in bed with the remote. All of a sudden, after a couple of years, it stopped coming on completely with the switch. Maybe once or twice a year, it'll work.
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2007, 09:23 PM
    Try replacing the receiver. It is the only thing that could cause that problem.

Feb 13, 2007, 04:09 AM
    Thanks!! Will try that this weekend!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan - Light Comes On By Itself [ 15 Answers ]

Just installed a Hampton Bay ceiling fan with the remote control for the fan and the light. Old house and I it's my first time installing a fan. Pretty proud and works pretty well. O.K. just a little wobble. After a while of operation, the light comes on without anyone touching the remote. ...

Hampton Bay ceiling light and fan [ 2 Answers ]

Would like to order another hand held remote control unit for my subject fan/light, in case I lose the one I already have. I have the Model #, the FCC ID #, the IC number, and the name of the maker (?) as Rhine Electronic. How do I get hold of the unit I want as I have no phone # nor address?

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan/Light [ 1 Answers ]

We have a wireless Hampton Bay ceiling fan and light with a built in remote receiver. We can still operate the fan with the remote but the lights don't work. The universal remote has one wire for the fan and one wire for the lights but the original system has numerous wires going to the motor. Is...

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan light [ 6 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me where I can find a replacement bulb for a ceiling fan I purchased at Home Depot a (hampton bay). The bulb is a mini spiral fluorescent with the writing on the side being--PLS13 Warm White, it has 4 pins. And is the push in type. Thanks

Hampton Bay ceiling fan/light [ 3 Answers ]

I had to take the fan/light down and in doing so don't remember wiring senario that makes the wall switch work the light portion. There are 4 wires coming down from the ceiling of which 2 are still connected. The wiring for the light is still in tact and marked, neutral, light etc. What wires do I...

View more questions Search