Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snowmist69 Posts: 103, Reputation: 3

Dec 15, 2011, 07:52 PM
    you have 30 customers week 1, 55 week 2,and 80 week 3, what would you project for wee
    You have 30 customers in week 1, 55 in week 2, 80 in week 3, what would you project for week 4.

I did just basic math and came up with 105, but I think there is some kind of equation or formula that I need and just don't know what it is.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 15, 2011, 08:05 PM
    Just because there were 25 more customers than the week before during weeks 2 and 3 doesn't mean a thing for week 4. I suppose you could say 105 but I would just say 'meaningless problem.'
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 16, 2011, 02:23 PM
    The estimate of 105 for week 4 is reasonable, as each week the attendance increases by 25. The formula is:

C = 30 + (25 x (n-1))

where n = week number 1, 2, 3 etc.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 16, 2011, 02:29 PM
    I live in a rural area where week 4 would probably plateau from lack of PEOPLE. If this is a math problem it should use a situation that isn't likely to do so.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 16, 2011, 03:35 PM
    I agree that this is a good example of a bad math problem. Common sense tells you that the scenario is bogus, and so the poor student spends more time being confused by a ridiculous scenario than actually learning and applying math concepts. Unfortunately this happens all the time, especially in elementary school, and I am certain that it is one of the reasons so many people find math "hard" and "confusing" - they fear that if the question makes no sense it must be that they are stupid and don't get it. I really wish the people who dream up these problems would think twice about whether it passes the common sense test.

Ok, rant mode off now :)

Dec 16, 2011, 05:27 PM
    Thank you both for your help, I was just confused and yes questions should be a little less stupid.

Dec 16, 2011, 05:34 PM
    Mr. ebaines, I love the formula and would like for you to walk me through it. I don't want you to do all of it just help show me how to work out this formula.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 16, 2011, 09:21 PM
    Guys it is 25 additional customers a week, it makes complete sense ( assuming you are thinking about 6th grade math.
    My son does these types of questions all the time.

So the next week if you grow 25 customers all the weeks prior, you would assume you get another 25.

Not a business or marketing question, but a word math question.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My employer considers me salary on a 50 hour work week and pays me a rate of 700 week [ 1 Answers ]

My employer considers me on a 50 hour salary ,paying 700.00 weekly ,but if I only work 48 or anything less than 50 hours a week they pay me only straight time ,what I'm saying is that if I work 45 hours they pay me 45 hours straight time ,I'm just wondering if that is legal

How do I potty train my 10 week old Pomeranian on a Wee Wee Pad [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I've had my pom girl for 2 weeks and I'm having a difficult time potty training her on a wee wee pads. She pees on the pad with 60% success so far but poops on the floor all over the apartment. When I leave her alone, I make sure she's in the confined area with her bed, toys and her...

I haven't had a period since around the last week of January. Twice this past week my [ 1 Answers ]

I'm 17 and I haven't had my period since like the last week or 2 of January. My periods are very often irregular and hard to keep track of. Twice this past week my boyfriend and I have tried to have sex. Both times the condom had broken shortly after we started. Both times it broke outside of my...

2 week on property now served a 2 week eviction because mgr refuses to sign lease [ 1 Answers ]

Can a management company refuse to sign the lease document even though you signed and was given permission to move-in by district manager of company? She decided that she didn't want me to stay even though I passed all of the criteria of the property. She found out that I had emailed a ex...

Week to week rental law [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have been renting a room in the house of a man who is not legally allowed to rent rooms. He has been verbally abusive and sometimes has threatned me with physical abuse.. he threatens to kick me out all the time. I pay bi-weekly and have never been late on my rent.. Because he the...

View more questions Search