Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kburgess Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2011, 08:10 AM
    Ceiling cracking where toilet is!
    My ceiling is cracking and has rings around it. It is right underneath our bathroom toilet. Anyone know what could be going on here?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 15, 2011, 08:20 AM
    Sounds like you may have a leak. The rings sound like water marks. I would suspect the wax seal. Does the toilet rock a bit?
    Pull the toilet, (any water under the bowl?) and replace the wax seal. That should take care of the problem. Good luck, Tom
    kburgess Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2011, 08:34 AM
    It does not shake any but if I try to pull on it, it makes a little noise, but I don't feel it moving. I do see that the grout in the tile in the corner of the toilet room is darker than the rest. Could it be a leak in a pipe?

Oh, and no water under the bowl!

I tried to upload a photo, but it won't let me.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 15, 2011, 09:08 AM
    Hi kburgess and welcome to the Plumbing pageat at AskMeHelpDesk. In the future please use the edit button instead of starting a new post.
    The wax seal is the most likely source of the problem. I would pull the toilet and check. **OR**
    If you don't think it's the wax seal you can feel the back of the tank for any moisture or open up the ceiling to check the pipes. Good luck, Tom n PS I don't need a picture of your toilet but if you can take a picture of the floor after the toilet's been pulled that would be nice. Read on!

How do I add pictures and other file types to my post?
    A. "Attach" files (including pictures) from your computer. This method puts the attached file below the text of the post.
    Click on an Ask or Answer button to ask or answer a question
    Compose your question or answer in the window.
    Under the window where you composed your question or answer is a section called Additional Options.
    Click on the Manage Attachments button: a pop-up dialog will open. NOTE: The Manage Attachments dialog lists the maximum sizes of the various types of files that may be attached.
    Click the Browse button to navigate to the image on your computer and double click the file on your computer: this will return you to the dialog window.
    Click the Upload button.
    Click the link to close the dialog window OR repeat numbers 5 & 6 to attach another image.
    B. "Embed" image(s) from the internet. This method inserts an image wherever you wish within the text of your post.
    Click the Insert Image icon above the posting window: A pop-up asking for the URL will open.
    Enter the URL of the image in the field then click the OK button.

How do I add pictures and other file types to my post?
    A. "Attach" files (including pictures) from your computer. This method puts the attached file below the text of the post.
    Click on an Ask or Answer button to ask or answer a question
    Compose your question or answer in the window.
    Under the window where you composed your question or answer is a section called Additional Options.
    Click on the Manage Attachments button: a pop-up dialog will open. NOTE: The Manage Attachments dialog lists the maximum sizes of the various types of files that may be attached.
    Click the Browse button to navigate to the image on your computer and double click the file on your computer: this will return you to the dialog window.
    Click the Upload button.
    Click the link to close the dialog window OR repeat numbers 5 & 6 to attach another image.
    B. "Embed" image(s) from the internet. This method inserts an image wherever you wish within the text of your post.
    Click the Insert Image icon above the posting window: A pop-up asking for the URL will open.
    Enter the URL of the image in the field then click the OK button.
    Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cracking sounds in the ceiling for older condo? [ 1 Answers ]

I am on the top floor of a condo that is three stories and was built in 1981. I am on the side of a canyon and the foundation of the building goes all the way to the canyon floor. The garage of the building is cement and concrete bricks. The next three floors are built out of wood. Cracking...

Ceiling, walls, floors, roof have cracking, popping noises [ 3 Answers ]

My home is a 26 year old, 1 1/2 story with a full basement. 2 years ago I had a 2 level deck replaced and added a pergola above half of the deck. Also, 6 years ago, I had an overhead and walk-in basement doors removed and had a basement wall poured for that section, because there was a problem...

Cracking noise in my ceiling [ 2 Answers ]

What would be making the crackling sound in my ceiling it sound like someone is walking up there. My home was built in the 50's.

View more questions Search