Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dlpotter Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2007, 08:57 AM
    Replacing Tub drain into cast iron.
    My tub drain is downstream from both the toilet and the roof vent and every time the toilet flushes the tub trap is emptied and I get sewer smells...
    Photo @ www3.ns.sympatico.ca/dlpotter/Plumbing/
    I think I need to add an anti-siphon device between the trap and the cast iron.
    Comments/suggestions...

Thanks,

David
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2007, 10:29 AM
    Well, an AAV would probably help, but it isn't going to be easy to install.

You would need to cut out the lead trap altogether and then remove the caulking ferrule from the 2" hub -- When the hub is completely cleaned out, you would then use a Fernco Tye Seal, a short piece of 2" pipe, a 2"x1-1/2"x1-1/2" Wye, a 1-1/2" Street 45, a 1-1/2" DWV p-trap, an 1-1/2" trap adapter, a foot or so of 1-1/2" pipe and an AAV.

The hardest part would be getting the Tye Seal and the short piece of 2" pipe into the cast iron hub, especially in such a confined space.

Personally, I'd suggest handing this off to a Plumber who knows all the tricks of the trade.

Just my two pence.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing cast iron drain pipe? [ 6 Answers ]

Put in a dishwasher and was working on the drain when I noticed the 2" cast iron drain pipe wasnt in very good shape. I spliced it with a sawzall ans the put pvc in and tried to use a boot on each end but it still leaks. Then from the cutting another joint in it started to leak. Ive decided its...

Replacing cast iron pipes [ 3 Answers ]

I have an older home with cast iron pipes. I have to replace them due to stress cracks? How is this done and should I replace the cast iron with PVC?:confused:

Replacing traditional cast iron tub with fiberglass shower unit-HELP [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I are growing older (Yeah, but I’m probably still older than you!);) and we are considering replacing one of the tubs in our two bath house with a step-in fiberglass shower unit. My wife broke her hip two years ago and she experienced major problems getting in and out of the tubs....

Cast Iron Tub Installation [ 5 Answers ]

Anyone have any tips on the installation of a cast iron tub in an existing alcove. Would like any advice on putting the tub into place so as to minimize injury, strain, frustration, people running over each other, etc.

Cast Iron Tub Installation [ 1 Answers ]

What do I put an old cast iron tub on. Can it sit directly on a new ceramic floor? Would I have to put something under the feet? It will be quite heavy with water in the tub.

View more questions Search