Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kit_n Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2011, 05:59 PM
    Holding a mortgage on property?
    Giving rental property to my son who already owns rental properties, however don't want to tie up his credit with the small equity line on that property by keeping it in my name for now ----want to give him full benefit of the tax, insurance, expenses of the property... Is it possible to give him a 1099 or do I need to write a mortgage or rent to own
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 14, 2011, 07:08 PM
    You can not keep the property in your name and allow him the benefit of taxes. Since you own it. If there is a current loan, you can not deed it to him without paying that off first.
    Even a rent to own or contract for deed, does not give him full rights to claim property taxes, that is still you as the owner.

He can as a rent to own or contract for deed, own it as a rental property and write off all normal business expenses.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Holding mortgage sale of a rental property what % capatal gain will I pay [ 4 Answers ]

Holding part of a mortgage on a sale of rental house. What % on capotal gains will I pay

Unpaid Property Tax on a home I'm holding the mortgage on [ 1 Answers ]

I hold the mortgage on a property that the mortgagee has not paid property taxes on the past 3 years. I just found this out. What happens if the county siezes the property due to unpaid taxes? Will I have just lost any claim to the property?

Selling property and holding mortgage [ 1 Answers ]

We have a buyer interested in purchasing a PC. Of property that we own in DE. They are willing to put down 100,000.00 and pay balance off over the next 20 Years with us holding the mortgage. They also have mentioned ballon payments. Am concerned about 2 things Can they use this property as...

Selling commercial property to relative and holding the mortgage [ 1 Answers ]

I plan to sell some apartments that I own in New York State to my sister. The property has been in the family for over 40 years and there is no mortgage. She will be putting down a deposit for about a quarter of the selling price and I will be holding the paper for her. Neither of us live in NY...

Holding a mortgage [ 4 Answers ]

I purchased a home recently in Upstate New York. The house is in good shape, insured. I touched it up and put it up for sale, everything works. My agent found a buyer who wants to purchase the house if I hold the mortgage. 10 pct down. Monthly payments, with a balloon payment (the balance due plus...

View more questions Search