Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dx4530 Posts: 37, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2011, 09:43 PM
    I'm confused with a Light Switch & Outlet Receptacle combo
    I had in my basement a combination Light Switch & Outlet Receptacle ,the top rite terminal was connected to the bottom rite terminal and so was the left side, and a hot wire was connected to the top rite terminal (of the light switch) and the left top terminal was the wire going to the light , so you get the picture that no neutral was ever connected to the bottom receptacle how the hell is that possible ? Even weirder that sometimes when I would plug something in it would miraculously turn on (although not full power) I said sometimes because I don't remember if the top switch would be on or at the off position back to the point how is it possible the bottom receptacle was able to work with out a neutral (it is a regular 15 amp )
    Attached Images

tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2011, 05:04 AM
    Since the receptacle needs a neutral, and none was connected, the device was wired incorrectly.

Something plugged in would work sometimes depending on what else was plugged in elsewhere in the circuit, and was connected in series.

An electrician is needed to come in and research all the wiring of this circuit, one to get this receptacle a proper neutral, and see what else is wired incorrectly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding light, switch & outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I want to add a light, switch & receptacle at a end of line receptacle. How do I got about it?

Adding light, switch & outlet [ 3 Answers ]

I'm in the midst of adding a bathroom in my basement and I want to add a light, switch & outlet. How do I wire all three? I want to take them off the main box as I have a extra breaker that is not used. 20A

Install light switch to control receptacle outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I wish to install a receptacle and a light switch by which to control it. I have a hot, neutral, and ground wire running to the switch. Which wires go where in the switch box, and how do they extend to the receptacle?

Combo Dimmer Switch / receptacle [ 1 Answers ]

Hey - I want to put a dimming light switch w/ a grounding receptacle in my bathroom. Has any one ever seen such an item and if so where at? You would think somewher out there there gots to be one.

Switch/Outlet Combo [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing an under the sink water filter that needs a constant power source. The only outlet available under the sink is a single 2 outlet box wired to a switch above the counter for the garbage disposal. My question is how can I make one of the outlets hot for the filter all the time and the...

View more questions Search