Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mhoover1227 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2011, 01:32 PM
    Can a salaried employee be docked for vaction time used?
    Hello I am a salaried employee in the state of PA. If I am negative in PTO and give my notice of resignment, can I be deducted for that time off? I am also an exempt employee if that makes a difference.

Thanks
    Marie
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2011, 01:40 PM
    Vaction time is pro rated over the ENTIRE year... they may let you take it BEFORE its accrued, the flip side being if you take it and leave before its actually accrued then you owe them that money... just like any cash advance.

Example being... you take all your vacation time for 2012 in January... nothing that was carried over from 2011. Then you quit on February 1... they can take back everything but was accrued in January as far as pay goes as it was an advance.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 13, 2011, 08:07 PM
    I am confused, you are already in the hole, negative in personal time off and they did not already dock. Is that what you are saying?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 13, 2011, 08:47 PM
    But basically yes, first of course they are not suppose to allow you to take it from a book keeping standpoint.

But you were paid money not earned so yes they can ask for their advanced payments back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If a salaried employee does not have enough vacation time, can his pay be docked? [ 1 Answers ]

A salaried employee wishes to take time off (out of the office whole days). However, the employee has not accrued enough vacation time to cover the days out of the office. Because the employee is salaried, does the employer have the right to dock their pay for the time off that was not able to be...

Can a salaried employee be required to make up time they were docked for? [ 6 Answers ]

I am a salaried employee. Last week I was out for 2 days dealing with kidney stones. I didn't have any accrued time to use because I used it all when I was in the hospitalized in January for the same thing. My check for the week was docked for the 2 days that I missed. Upon my return my boss told...

Can a salaried employee be docked pay for doctors appointment [ 2 Answers ]

Can a salaried employee be required to use accrued sick time for a doctors appointment when other salaried employees are not required to do so.

Should an exempt salaried employee be docked for leaving early [ 1 Answers ]

I am an exempt salaried employee who works 40 hours a week 9 months out of the year. The other 3 months I work anywhere from 70 to 100 hrs a week. About a month ago I left about 2 hrs early, and then last week about 1 1/2 hrs early. Now they are telling me that I have to take that off my monthly...

Salaried Exempy Employee paycheck docked 1 week pay for arriving 5 hours late [ 5 Answers ]

Hello all, A friend and former colleague's paycheck was docked 1 week of pay (approx $2,000) for arriving at work 5 hours late due to car problems. She is a salaried exempt employee in the state of Connecticut. She receives 4 weeks vacation each year, and has over 2 weeks of accrued, unused...

View more questions Search