Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shinian Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2011, 10:57 AM
    Who is your local "celebrity?"
    Who is your local "celebrity?" Every small town has their eccentric - who is yours? I ask because I'm developing a character for a book, so please be specific.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 13, 2011, 11:06 AM
    I can tell you more than you ever wanted to know about our local homeless guy.

There are several best-selling authors who live in this area.

We had a patron who was 100 years old (who has since died). He'd fall asleep in the library while reading the daily newspaper, and patrons were afraid to wake him up or worried that he was dead.

We had a library flasher who wore (only) his trench coat every spring.

We had a patron who was a transvestite. I encountered him (dressed as a female) while in the ladies washroom.

There was an obnoxious, demanding female patron we dubbed "the water buffalo."
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 15, 2011, 03:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I can tell you more than you ever wanted to know about our local homeless guy.
    Is this him?

Judge to well-known Naperville squatter: Get a job - Chicago Sun-Times
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 15, 2011, 03:40 PM
    Nope! I wasn't a librarian at the Nichols Library. I was in a suburb east of DG.

Our homeless guy will be 73 soon, finally agreed to claim his SS money, and is now in independent living (nursing home) in LaGrange, charming the socks off everyone.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2011, 03:30 AM
    We have a local famous homeless guy too, he's a can mumbler, you can try and talk to him all you want but he'll just keep on walking and talking into his can.
    Ask anyone do they know the homeless guy in the mall and they will know exactly who you are talking about.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Dec 26, 2011, 06:42 AM
    There is a local guy who carries his pet rodent in a shoulder carrier to the convenience store every morning to purchase a banana for it's breakfast . I never see him get anything for himself. He stands outside the store feeding the rodent ;and engages in conversations with people coming in for their local fix of coffee . Surely that is good for a bit part in your best seller.
    Just Looking Posts: 1,610, Reputation: 480
    Ultra Member

Dec 26, 2011, 11:26 PM
    When I read this question, it reminded me of a man known as "The Waver". He used to walk every day between the city where I live and one that is over 30 miles away, waving to everyone as he went. I hadn't thought about him for a while, so I did a Google search for "Reno waver" and found out some interesting things. He started walking in 1973 after his wife left him and took their daughters. He continued until just a few years ago when he remarried his wife. He wrote a book in 1997 about his adventures. In 1990, it was estimated that he had already walked 200,000 miles.

He was very well known in our city and he really did brighten our days. You couldn't help but smile as he always had the biggest smile on his face.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 26, 2011, 11:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Looking View Post
    When I read this question, it reminded me of a man known as "The Waver".
    Chicago has a similar guy who stands on a bridge every day and waves, our very own Vincent --

What's up with the crazy "suit guy" outside abc7? (Chicago: studio, camera) - City-Data Forum
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Jan 4, 2012, 05:05 PM
    There was a guy in Nova Scotia that would do the same... wave at people driving by on the highway, he was on the overpass. I even think they named the overpass after him...
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Jan 4, 2012, 05:07 PM
    Found the article and yes they did name it after him...
    Overpass named after Freddie Wilson - News - The Hants Journal
    kcomissiong Posts: 1,166, Reputation: 276
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2012, 09:21 AM
    Ours is Special K, the homeless rapper. His work, and outstanding dance moves can be seen on YouTube.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

"Form" placed in "Microsoft Access" can be accessed from a "Button" in "VB.Net" App [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, Actually, I'm not very well in programming but a task is assigned to me related to .Net. Basically, there is a database in Microsoft Access. I have made forms in it which are based on queries to retrieve required results. I have also made graph of it. Now, I have to merge this...

Wireless Router Connected but "Local" Access to Internet Only [ 1 Answers ]

I recently relocated where I had to change ISP. I am also recently divorced and my ex husband had the key to our Lynksis router, so I used an old verizon wireless to connect.. at the time my ISP was Time Warner, they're not available in my area and I am now using Comcast. Anyhow, I called tech...

"local only" with both LAN and WLAN [ 2 Answers ]

Hello everyone! I've read about a lot of people having network problems with Vista and only getting "local only" and I have that problem too only I also have it even with the network cable connected! I've tried three different networks (at school etc) but I can never connect to the internet. I...

What I want to do if "local disk drive c" opens automatically [ 3 Answers ]

Hi; When I am log in to my computer each time my "local disk drive c" is opening automatically.what I want to do stop opening of drive.

View more questions Search