Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kedarh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2007, 09:51 PM
    Windows xp installation
    Hi,
    When upgrading from me to xp do I need to backup my files or are they automatically transferred.
    Thanks
    kedarh
    poseidon Posts: 244, Reputation: 55

Feb 11, 2007, 01:12 AM
    Hello kedarh,

Although Microsoft say you should be able to upgrade your system to XP without losing any important data, they do recommend you backup any important data to be sure. I think you will agree it does make sense.

The first thing you need to confirm is that you have the correct system requirement for the upgrade. You can check this by visiting:

Windows XP Professional System Requirements

Once this is done go to the following link:

Windows XP: Upgrading

This will give you a walkthrough for upgrading your system. It may be a good idea to print this before starting the upgrade process.

Cy
    (Poseidon)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 11, 2007, 07:08 AM
    You should ALWAYS have a backup of your data files. Whether you are upgrading or just from normal operation. I backup my data files daily.

However, when you do the upgrade the files will be transferred.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Windows XP installation Stops at same spot [ 6 Answers ]

I'm trying to install Windows XP Home Edition SP2 on a home built machine. During the installation, right after it formats the drive and starts copying files, it stops at the same file every time. It errors out trying to copy the same file every time and with several different cd's. I've even...

Can't load windows, Can't get into safe mode and can't reinstall windows. [ 2 Answers ]

Help! I can't get windows98 SE to load. I can't get into safe mode or reinstall windows. A little history first. I had an issue with my creative sound card. EMM386 not loading along with something that had to do with the sound card. I went back and forth with creative tech support to resolve the...

Windows 98SE Installation Sequence [ 3 Answers ]

Dear Forum, After a fresh installation of Windows 98SE from the factory Disk, what is the order of driver installs? Is it... A. Motherboard Chipset Video Card Monitor B. Motherboard Chipset

Windows XP update failures after Service Pack 2 installation [ 2 Answers ]

Since installing XP Service Pack 2, the few updates that have occurred subsequently have all failed to install after downloading. Downloading seems to reach 95% completion normally and then slows right down. 'failed' then appears against the update name.

View more questions Search