Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    karissa.elise Posts: 98, Reputation: -4

Dec 10, 2011, 06:50 AM
    Sick and shaking and sweating
    It happened for the first time like 2 years ago. My boyfriend woke up at about 5 a.m puking and started sweating he was shaking and everything it was really scary. I had to bring him in the shower so he could sit in it because he was puking so much and he couldn't control it the puking lasted maybe a half hour and I brought him to bed the nausea lasted a little longer so did the shaking and sweating. After a bit he fell asleep and was perfectly fine when he woke up. Then it happened the same thing about a month later. But this time we were out. He started puking unconrtolably and sweating/shaking.it was so bad his mom had to come pick us up because he couldn't walk he was getting so sick. It happened a couple more times and now its happening more frequently.itmostly seems to happen in the morning and once in the middle of the night so usually after 2 am until 5 am the last time it happened was a few weeks ago.and its really starting to bother us. He's made an apt. For the doctor but its not for a few days.
    What could it be. There's nothing we can think of that can be causing this.
    Are these symptoms of anything anyone knows about? Any info would be appreciated
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 10, 2011, 07:34 AM
    Any number of things - gall bladder, ulcer, even food allergy just to name a few. I'll take a wild guess at gall bladder. Does he feel any sharp or dull pain upper right (about 2-3" below the nipple and maybe a bit to the side) or same location but in the back?

If that's it (he'd probably have ultrasound) the surgery is easy and if it goes well, he can be out in less than a day.

Dec 10, 2011, 07:47 AM
    Nope he said he doesn't have any pain or anyuthing and when it happpends he usually was asleep or not eating. He's on methadone and has hep c, if that helps at all.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 10, 2011, 07:47 AM
    I'm going to take a stab at diabetes. Does this happen when he is hungry?

Dec 10, 2011, 08:04 AM
    Idont think so. Most of the times when it happened he was asleep I bed. And it was late like 5 am. 2 am midnight. One time it was early morning like 8 am. And he had just taking his methadone. I thought that could be it but ? If it was methadon wouldn't it happened more often since he has to take it everyday?
    He's not overwieght he doesn't have diebetes that we know of.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2011, 11:06 AM
    Side effects of methadone: Methadone
    All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome when using Methadone:

Constipation; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth; headache; increased sweating; itching; lightheadedness; nausea; vomiting; weakness.

Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur when using Methadone:
    Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); confusion; decreased sexual desire or ability; excessive drowsiness; fainting; fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; loss of appetite; menstrual changes; mental or mood changes (eg, agitation, disorientation, exaggerated sense of well-being); seizures; severe or persistent dizziness or lightheadedness; shortness of breath; slow or shallow breathing; swelling of the arms, feet, or legs; trouble sleeping; trouble urinating; unusual bruising or bleeding." Methadone Side Effects | Drugs.com

Overweight is not necessarily a factor in diabetes.

Hepatitis C is highly contagious. How are you protecting your baby?
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2011, 12:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by karissa.elise View Post
    nope he said he doesnt have any pain or anyuthing and when it happpends he usually was asleep or not eating. hes on methadone and has hep c, if that helps at all.
    You mention HepC but didn't indicate if he is being treated and monitored for same. This condition can progress into fibrosis and even cirrhosis... progressively diminishing liver function.

I have also observed this type of reaction when the Methadone dosage is suboptimal. In other words the symptoms are similar to opiate withdrawal. The timing you provided, early morning, during sleep, would be when the blood level is lowest. While less than opiates, tolerance does develop with Methadone reducing effectiveness.

While these are two very different phenomena, one involving toxic response the other failure to control withdrawal, either could result in the symptoms you note. Each should be closely monitored in a medically supervised methadone maintenance program.

Do you know if that has been checked?
    wauya Posts: 93, Reputation: -5

Dec 10, 2011, 08:43 PM
    This is typical opioid drug withdraw symptoms.He must be a heroin or other opioites addict and under treatment of methadon program.Take methadone instead of heroin will less harm and in short time can prevent the sever withdraw symptoms,but methadone is also opioid drug for long use also will develop addiction and withdraw symptoms and need more and more, because this As I know some patient failure to keep up in this program and back to use heroin again.For side effects of methadone picture seems not like that.Side effects will happen any time you take the drug and is not comes and go.Only question is: is this are withdraw symptoms of methadone or the original drug(heroin).

Dec 11, 2011, 05:58 AM
    I do everything I can to protect my son. I know all the risks and hazards believe me. I would never let that happen.

And I thought it may be the methadone but he's been on it for almost 3 years and wouldn't it happened more often since he takes it everyday

Besides that. His health is fine.

BR BILL. SO DO YOU THINK It's the HEPC? I mean. I can tthink of anything else that can be causing this. He's had it for awhile. About ten years if I'm correct.. sorry not sure ill get back to you.and no right nnow he is NOT being treated. He has a apt. soon and id like him to look into interferone.
    Could it mean his dose is too high?
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2011, 10:06 AM

and i thought it may be the methadone but hes been on it for alomst 3 years and wouldnt it happend more often since he takes it everyday

BR BILL. SO DO YOU THINK ITS THE HEPC? i mean. i can tthink of anything else that can be causing this. hes had it for awhile. about ten years if im correct..sorry not sure ill get back to you.and no right nnow he is NOT being treated. he has a apt. soon and id like him to look into interferone.
    could it mean his dose is too high?
    Certainly he should be (have been) closely monitored both in relation to HepC and Methadone maintenance. Usually these go hand in hand.

Methadone is a drug that simply continues addiction but supposedly with less harmful effects. 1) Tolerance develops, meaning it becomes less effective, and 2) Methadone is independently addictive (physical dependence) requiring more drug for steady maintenance. Considering 1 & 2 together you have a recipe for break-through withdrawal symptoms unless the patient maintains a close relationship with the prescribing physician. A must with this drug.

Given the symptoms described and the timing (as noted previously) I'm more inclined toward the Methadone. But possible progressive liver damage must be investigated and ruled out.

Hopefully it is just a matter of Methadone dose.

Following is some information on Methadone from Center for Substance Abuse Research (CESAR), Univ of Maryland: http://www.cesar.umd.edu/cesar/drugs/methadone.pdf

Since Methadone became more widely used in pain management disturbing information has emerged in relation to the drug and emphasizing the need for close and continuing monitoring:

See
    US-FDA
    Dept of Health, NY
    US-Center for Disease Control
    Oregon State

Dec 26, 2011, 10:02 AM
    Sorry to not response to your post right the way.Since you said that you will do every thing to protect your son.Here I will share my knowing about this issue with you hopefully will give you some help.Heroin addict is very tough to deal with.He must has this problem for more then 10 years and get rid of it is not practical lucky he been accept to the methadone program and can obtain legal drugs at a low fee.But use methadone instead of heroin also has many problems;1) he need to go to this clinic if not everyday may every few days to pickup the drug.2)since develop dependence and need more and more supply to prevent withdraw symptoms,but the clinic(nurse) will not believe what he claim because many patient also want more and make up the story,as you, may try to tell the nurse about the story is true.3)you should keep a eye to him not let him go back to obtain heroin and use it again.4) enforce him to attend group social therapy . Let people there closely monitor him.For his hepatitis c,he must got it from share of dirty needle with other user most likely more then 10 years histry and must be in chronic condition and is under care by other clinic.He may already treat by interferon and antivirus drugs then depend on how respons to the treatment.To judge the status of his illness;1) confirm the diagnosis;antibody test, to know the illness still there need the hcv virus load test; to prove the virus there and how many.To find how much damage need to do the liver function test(enzyem) and liver biopsy to find out the damage to the structure.Unfortunly there are 2/3 of patients will became cirrhosis within 20 to 30 years if not treat or not respons to treatment.find out his conditions and let me know.

Dec 27, 2011, 08:29 AM
    He is very lucky to be on methadone and off drugs. He's been clean for a long time and attending collage and doing the right thing,a lot of people don't make it.and going tpo his clinic everyday isn't a problem and its better than the alternitive.
    Where do you get the idea it must have been over ten years? It is not true.and yea I know a lot of people get cirrosis. But now that he's clean the odds are a little lower since he's not using or anything that's going to make it progress. I'm not sure if methadone is bad for your liver. I don't know.. thank you for your info anyhow. And no, you do not need to keep going up on your dose once you find a stable dose you can stay there and be fine. Unlike herion wereyou need more and more. You will not get sick if you stay on the same dose for a period.

Dec 27, 2011, 11:12 AM
    K.E,I am very glad to know that your son is doing very good.He is your son right?Base on what you said that he has hepatitis c for more then 10 years,If he pickup this illness by use dirty needle that means he start use drug from that time.Sure this may not 100% right and also you may not know the true time he star use drug.this all base on my years of experience to deal with
    This kind of patients and get this conclusion.For the methadone dosage if he develop more offen of withdraw symptoms recently that means his methadone dosage need to be adjusted.
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2011, 01:04 PM
    I hope that you are not getting confused by the wide array of information. There are, in fact, many possible causes for the symptoms you described.

Methadone is often referred to as a complex drug. Another way of saying it's use is touchy. I continue to emphasize the necessity of closely monitoring the patient. Most of the problems that arise in relation to this drug are easily detectable, be it under- or over-dosage, side effects.

You mentioned that you have been advised that once a stable dose is achieved that it doesn't change. I believe that is a mistaken idea from several fronts. 1) Methadone is a synthetic opioid. That means man-made to act like an opiate. 2) Tolerance to Methadone does develop. Seemingly slower than to semi-synthetics and natural opiates but it does develop. 3) Across time there are physiologic changes in everyone. The rate of metabolism will diminish naturally, or may increase/diminish due to diet or other seemingly innocuous agents, such as vitamins, hormones, dietary supplements. 4) The liver is the single most important organ in metabolizing this, and most, drugs. Any change in liver function will alter the bioavailability and effectiveness of the drug. 5) There are numerous others drugs, foods and dietary supplements that can cross-react with Methadone and impact effectiveness. See Special Precautions and Interfering drugs. National Alliance of Methadone Advocates

You previously mentioned HepC. Given condition (4) above, one would be remiss not to consider and test for hepatic involvement. Such monitoring is essential when HepC is diagnosed even absent Methadone use.

So the conditions or symptoms you mention can reasonably be interpreted from several perspectives. Methadone dose either 1) sub-optimal causing withdrawal symptoms or 2) periodic overdosage due to accumulation of the drug (very very long half-life) or 3) related to systemic toxins resulting from progressive liver disease. If it's of any comfort, progressive liver damage is somewhat distant as all of the symptoms you mention are listed as side effects of Methadone: See NIH sheet, Side Effects. Of course it's always possible that none of the foregoing apply.

I certainly don't wish to be dismissive of your concerns. Matters involving the health of love ones weighs heavily. Sometimes, however, gathering opinions can result in confusion and added worry.

Your boyfriend needs to have a check-up for the HepC anyway. By mentioning the Methadone and symptoms they can check on the circulating levels of the drug at the same time. If he is attending a Methadone clinic then he should mention this to them, they will refer (hopefully) for the necessary bloodwork.

While I, and others, can continue to speculate as to the possible cause(s) it is probably not going to bring added clarity. The tests are simple and should clear up the issues involved in short order and that is the only way you and your boyfriend are going to achieve peace of mind.
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2011, 06:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by wauya View Post
    K.E,I am very glad to know that your son is doing very good.He is your son right?.

"My boyfriend woke up... "

Dec 28, 2011, 08:41 AM
    Yes, I though that was pretty obvious as well..
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2011, 08:59 AM
    Yes, I though that was pretty obvious as well..
    - Laughing. Made my day! Apparently you and I mumble - or something!

How's the baby "surviving" his first Christmas? Usually you knock yourself out and the baby's too young to remember anyway.

Dec 28, 2011, 11:36 AM
    It was good. He loved it. BUt after opening a fewhe didn't care about it and just wanted to play with his book. I worry for weeks ifi gothimenough andeverything and he could careless ha!
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2011, 12:27 PM
    Usually they play with the boxes that the gifts came in.

Dec 29, 2011, 05:56 AM
    Haha yes. He LOVED the wrapping paper. He's so cute. He is obsessed with books. They're his favorite. I've never seen a 10 month old who loved them so much haha

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What could be the reason of shaking of my lap screen shaking [ 2 Answers ]

My lap to screen gets shaking and the window gets unvisible

I got very sick with profuse sweating,paleness,weakness,vomiting soon after eating gr [ 1 Answers ]

I got very sick soon after eating granola bought from bin at the Fresh Market grocery store with profuse sweating,paleness,weakness,vomiting. What could have caused this?

My 1yr old puppy is sick, vomiting.not worms, sick only in morning. [ 5 Answers ]

Hello:) I am new here.. My 1yr old pup, Gracie, is a house dog, she is 1/2 Pomeranian & 1/2 Min. Doberman. For the last few days she has been vomiting in the morning, that is the only time she does. We are very careful what she eats & as we live in town, she stays indoor.. even to void. She is...

View more questions Search