Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2011, 07:21 AM
    That's good - I'm a big believer in reading to children, all sorts of books written for their level of comprehension.

Yesterday I spent time with my step grandchild and read "Good Night Gorilla" EIGHT times. It's about 6 pages long - I could chant it from memory at this point.
    wauya Posts: 93, Reputation: -5

Dec 29, 2011, 03:26 PM
    In this case question about could be over dosage of methadone.Here I would like to share what I know about this issue.OD of any opioid drugs which including methadone,first major and dangerous symptoms are 1) respiratory depression which depress of breathing;slow down and shallow of breathing.If marked slow down hypoxia will develop,skin and lip will should cyanosis,further down circulation failure will happen;bp drop,brain dead and heart stop.2)consciousness change;lethargic and even comatose.beside these other symptoms are not essential to indicate of OD.In this case no show of above symptoms;OD can be r/o.Family members who with person who are taking of this kind of drugs should take note about this symptoms because if pick up early can save life.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2011, 03:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wauya View Post
    In this case question about could be over dosage of methadone.Here I would like to share what I know about this issue.OD of any opioid drugs which including methadone,first major and dangerous symptoms are 1) respiratory depression which depress of breathing;slow down and shallow of breathing.If marked slow down hypoxia will develop,skin and lip will should cyanosis,further down circulation failure will happen;bp drop,brain dead and heart stop.2)consciousness change;lethargic and even comatose.beside these other symptoms are not essential to indicate of OD.In this case no show of above symptoms;OD can be r/o.Family members who with person who are taking of this kind of drugs should take note about this symptoms because if pick up early can save life.

We're not all Doctors here - please use "ruled out" instead of r/o so the OP who has already probably been confused by the conflicting information (which Dr.Bill explained and clarified).
    karissa.elise Posts: 98, Reputation: -4

Dec 30, 2011, 05:35 AM
    Judy- oh my god, Ian, myson has a book, cuddly mokey that's about 6 pages and I read it to him over and over. Yeah I agree. People don't read enough to kids. I love reading so I think that's waer the buying him books began but. I didn't expect him to love them!

wauya-and I am not worried about overdose. He is not going up on his dose (which he has been onforabout 2 years) so I'm pretty surehe isn't going to o.dout of the blue. He is accually goingdown on his dose.. slowly like he should... but thank you anyway for trying to help.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Dec 31, 2011, 07:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by karissa.elise View Post

wauya-and I am not worried about overdose. he is not going up on his dose (which he has been onforabout 2 years) so im pretty surehe isnt going to o.dout of the blue. he is accually goingdown on his dose..slowly like he should...but thank you anyway for trying to help.
    Karissa,

As a matter of fact, he could OD "out of the blue" due to the unusual pharmacokinetics (what it does in the body) of Methadone (referenced previously). That is exactly the basis of investigations into the inordinate number of accidental overdoses attributable to use of this drug.

More likely however, is your reference to his reduction "going down on his dose". Certainly a recommended practice but, as previously noted, must be closely monitored, so as to avoid withdrawal symptoms.

Withdrawal symptoms are a very distinct possibility.

Overdose, under-dose (inadequate to control opiate withdrawal), with the outlier possibility being progressive liver disease.

Once again, this triad of most likely causes are easily distinguishable by standard laboratory testing.

Jan 1, 2012, 05:48 AM
    Yes I know. And he went to the doctor to test his liver a week ago but we won't know for a few weeks.

The chances of him od on methadone are slim to none. I know it happens. I've seen it. But. Not if your on a stable dose and not mixing it with other drugs. Of course it can happen but... most likely won't.

And yes I know he could have withdrawal symptoms but he's going very slow. Like 2 every other week then stoping from awhile. He's doing what they recommend.
    Thank you

Jan 1, 2012, 10:31 AM
    Sure peoples are taking methadone become od intended or accidentally could happen but in this case base on histry and symptoms hardly say od already happen.there are more and more case report of fatal od of methadone reported but most of them are not patients under this program. Withdraw symptoms rare kills,most incharge staff in this clinic are try to cut down the dosage and hopefully one day will competelly to stop use it.

Jan 2, 2012, 02:18 PM
    That's accually untrue very untrue.. most clinic don't want you to get off they want you to stay on as long as possible.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2012, 02:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by karissa.elise View Post
    thats accually untrue very untrue..most clinic dont want you to get off they want you to stay on as long as possible.
    Ah, the realities of addiction medicine.

Jan 5, 2012, 12:33 PM
    Run a methadone clinic is very expensive need state and federnal support and get in the clinic is highly demanded .The goal of these clinic are try to keep peoples not to use heroine but if possible(rarely) try to completely stop to use it.I know few successful case.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What could be the reason of shaking of my lap screen shaking [ 2 Answers ]

My lap to screen gets shaking and the window gets unvisible

I got very sick with profuse sweating,paleness,weakness,vomiting soon after eating gr [ 1 Answers ]

I got very sick soon after eating granola bought from bin at the Fresh Market grocery store with profuse sweating,paleness,weakness,vomiting. What could have caused this?

My 1yr old puppy is sick, vomiting.not worms, sick only in morning. [ 5 Answers ]

Hello:) I am new here.. My 1yr old pup, Gracie, is a house dog, she is 1/2 Pomeranian & 1/2 Min. Doberman. For the last few days she has been vomiting in the morning, that is the only time she does. We are very careful what she eats & as we live in town, she stays indoor.. even to void. She is...

View more questions Search