Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    4gvn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2004, 11:08 PM
    Sewage smell when running washer
    Whenever we run our washing machine, there is a strong smell of sewage in the house. The washer and toilet outlet separately. However, the vent for the toilet is connected to the vent for the washer.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 10, 2004, 01:34 AM
    Smelly Washer
    Do you hear any gurgling when the toilet flushes or the washer discharges? If you have a basement, check the floor drain. The water seal in the trap evaporates over time if not used and the discharge from the washer forces sewer gas out of the drain. Any fixture that drains and is not used regularly is suppect. If you smell sewer gas you have a opening into your sewer. Sewer gas is dangerous to your health and the methane in it is explosive. Look into this immediately. If you can't locate the problem click on back with all the information you have and we'll go into it in depth. Regards, Tom
    4gvn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2004, 10:39 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply. There is no gurgling. Our plumbing is in a crawl space. I went down there and ran the washer. There is no drain water leaking anywhere. The traps are all working. I checked the vent pipe for clogs, but it was clear. We have copper pipe connected to old cast iron for a drain as it goes underground in the crawl space. Today I smelled the odor and we had not been running any water. The crawl space has a small opening into the basement and that is where the smell is the worst. Could there be a leak at the junction of the copper pipe and cast iron? How would I test for that? Also, do atmospheric conditions (e.g. temperature or wind) effect the operation of the vent. Our vent is on the northeast side of the house with the prevailing wind coming from the south and west.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 14, 2004, 06:34 AM
    Sewage smell when running washer
    There has to be a opening somewhere for sewer gas to escape. However, if there was a leak in the line some where and raw sewage spilled out it would produce a sewer gas smell.
    Where the smell's the strongest is the place to start looking. If you find such a leak it must be repaired and lime spread on the spill.
    Wind blowing over a vent produces a vacume of sorts in the system. How that can be checked is to watch the level in your toilet bowl. If you see it fluctuate then you know you have a breeze blowing. But I've never heard of it sucking water out of a trap.
    Your best bet is to track it down using the "sniff test". Let me know what you find. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewage smell in bathroom [ 9 Answers ]

:eek: Our main bathroom off the master bedroom has a sewage smell coming from the shower. The drain is not clogged, the toilet and sink are fine. No smell from the sink or toilet, seems to be from the shower only. Our house is on septic system and drainfield. No soggy grass around the drainfield...

Sewage smell [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, About a week ago the pump for my septic tank broke. I replaced the pump And everything is working fine now. My problem is that some sewage backed up into my downstairs washroom onto an old cement floor. I have noticed a strong odor in the basement and coming up through the air vents. I...

Sewage smell [ 2 Answers ]

Recently we bought a house. As soon as we moved in we could smell a sewage smell coming from both bathrooms (cannot locate exactly where) and outside the front of our house (seems to be coming from underneath the house). How do we begin to look into this without calling out a plumber?

Sewage smell [ 1 Answers ]

I have a one year old home which this past summer, I was getting a sewage smell. At first is was only happening on a windy day. I'm on septic system, my floor drains in basement are always full with water. I was getting the smell in my sons room through the return air grill.. After I figured...

Sewage Smell [ 6 Answers ]

We have sewage smell that seems to be coming from the stack pipe the runs from the basement to the roof. Here is some back ground on the setup, now I'm not a plumber so bare with me. This is a older two story house, the vent pipe is cast iron and runs from the sewer pipe that goes out the...

View more questions Search