Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    casarsa Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2011, 09:02 PM
    Can I continue to get unemployeement if I get 1099 for one gig
    I was getting w-2's and then was laid off so I received unemployement. I am still looking for jobs, but in the meanwhile I just did an online sign up for a non exclusive modeling agency that specializes in promotional work. I'm getting my first gig for 1 week getting paid $1770. I called unemployement to ask them if I can still refile, they said yes since job just temporary and I can reopen. But if I get a 1099 for just one gig, does that mean I automatically don't qualify anymore because it is just a one time gig and not a full time or part time job.. The job is just random that's if I get picked from thousands of girls in the future. So will I still be able to get unemployement after I refile?
    buttler73 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2011, 09:05 PM
    Depends on the state law I think. What you should do is call and ask. I think they justpro rate the check for 1 week.
    buttler73 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2011, 09:06 PM
    Also after you get a job if it does not come up to your weekly stipen they will offset it so it does..
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 9, 2011, 09:08 PM
    You file and report this as wages, when reporting, it normally asks if this is a temp job

Dec 9, 2011, 09:17 PM
    Even if during taxes I report as wages, won't unemployeement know it was a 1099, because of the company that reports all 1099's. Will my unemployement stop if I get 1099 for 1 gig.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Dec 10, 2011, 08:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by casarsa View Post
    Even if during taxes I report as wages, won't unemployeement know it was a 1099, bc of the company that reports all 1099's. Will my unemployement stop if I get 1099 for 1 gig.
    No, and they don't care, as long as you report it. But the people you did that one gig for will report it to the IRS (and state income tax agency), not the unemployment benefit agency. Income from self-employment is off-set against unemployment benefits.

Dec 10, 2011, 11:30 AM
    What do you mean by offset? Does that mean they deduct from normal unemployement weekly amount or that once unemployement see's a self employement pay that they terminate my uemployement?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 10, 2011, 12:59 PM
    Off set, you will receive less unemployment often dollar for dollar, for that week. If you for example get 300 dollars unemployment, and earn 250 dollars you may only get 50 dollars unemployment that week.

Some states do not do it dollar for dollar, others have amounts you can earn before it is taken.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gig name for a dj event [ 0 Answers ]

I am organising an event for charity and I got no idea what to call it. It's a dj event with 5 djs playing at an underground club , playing dubstep, elertrio and drum and bass. Any ideas?

Should I attend ex gf's gig? [ 12 Answers ]

Ok so 5-6 monthes ago my ex was cheating on me and left me. It was a loooong relationship but anyway we left on rough grounds. Since then I have kept NC with her. Haven't asked about her, could care less about her life. Anyway the problem is her sister who I have no problem with and am actually...

Gig that take place in Berlin this week [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everybody I want to know if it takes place any good gig in Berlin this week ( 07/09/08 - 13/09/08 ) The music I like is electronica , rock, and jazz Thanks

40 Gig? [ 1 Answers ]

Does any one know if sony ever plans on making a patch or whatever to make it to where 40 gig ps3s can play the ps2 games and ps1's?

View more questions Search