Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 9, 2011, 06:56 PM
    Why do we use the plural when describing the sky or heaven?
    My cyber son in Japan emailed me these questions:

I want to ask you a question about a usage of English. You say "heavens", "skies". Why are they plural ?

What is the difference from the singular "heaven", "sky" ?

Latin seems to have this usage of plural form, too, as I often see such examples in the dictionary's example sentences.

Can you help me with my answer to Junya?
    buttler73 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2011, 09:04 PM
    I think that skies can be explained as morning or evening skies. They are the same but different you have the night skyearly morning sky. Just different looking skies. Plus his sky is different from ours. That's multiple vies... Heavens... Heavens on a religious thought do all Gods live in a single heaven? Heaven is the house of a God or gods. And Odin lives in a different Heaven than Jesus or Zeus. Different Heavens for different gods is my guess.
    gevatter Posts: 6, Reputation: 3

Feb 20, 2012, 09:45 AM
    As buttler73 said: skies is used for "night sky", "cloudy sky" etc. so you have many different skies.

Heaven/Heavens on the other hand is not only used as a reference for Heaven in a religious manner...

It is often used literary in books and texts to describe the sky in a more poetic way.
    Eyeoneduh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2012, 04:00 PM
    Thanks you guys, I couldn't believe my eyes when I realised other people think about these things too. And what fantastic, enlightening answers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plural Forms ? [ 3 Answers ]

What are some of the different forms of creating plural words other than adding an S ?

Plural form of "oak" in Italian [ 2 Answers ]

I see that quercia is the singular form of oak. What is the plural form? Is it querce? Is it querche?

Who sings the song Heaven o Heaven.. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Ive been looking everywhere do find out who sings that slow song that goes "Heaven o Heaven can you help me, Iam down on my knees please heaven, heaven, heaven, I close my eyes and shes all I see heaven o heaven can you help me" The group or singer sort of sound like Boyz II Men Please...

Collective plural [ 2 Answers ]

What's the collective plural of ninja? -Like a gaggle of gease... Thanks :D

View more questions Search