Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wyabel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2011, 08:08 AM
    Labor Law.
    I live in Minnesota. Is it legal for an employer to unexpectedly decide to hold my check, as well as other employees for a week or more due to his own financial issues? I have looked online for an answer but they seem to be harder to find than I thought.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 9, 2011, 08:17 AM
    Nio it is not legal for them to hold your check past the scheduled pay date. You can report them to the Labor Dept. ( I would do it as a group)

Also you do know this is a sign that they may well go out of business. If they do go out of business, you may never see the pay for the last week or weeks of work.
    billybbilliards Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2011, 11:03 AM
    Call a local union and they will help you out
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 9, 2011, 12:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by billybbilliards View Post
    Call a local union and they will help you out
    Unless it is currently a union shop, a union can do nothing. They might try to get a union into the shop, but that's a long process.

Dec 9, 2011, 12:30 PM
    I wasn't saying that for organization purposes. Although that would be beneficial from the sound if it. Any local union will know the labour laws and can answer that question. Organization is a separate issue in which you are correct does take time.

Dec 9, 2011, 12:33 PM
    Very few unions that I know of, will help a non member, especially if they are not a union member at all. The State Dept of Labor will handle this.

Dec 9, 2011, 12:48 PM
    As a member of one of the largest unions in the country,I know my local union would definitely answer this question along with provide information about the pros of organization. I would hope that your local unions wouldn't discriminate in a situation like this when organization could potentially be fairly simple. And if they do shame on them

Dec 9, 2011, 01:12 PM
    Maybe they would help. But if they did it would be in their own self interest to promote unionization. The OP would still be better off going to the Dept of Labor. The only thing the Union might do is refer to the law. The Dept of Labor can enforce.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 9, 2011, 01:34 PM
    I am sorry first you can not be sure to get the correct answers at many labor unions, most would want to use this as a reason to organize the shop. You do need the government agency, the Labor Department which would investigate or force payment.

As a follow up, also if they close or go bankrupt you are a non secured debtor.

Another even bigger fear, are they actually paying your taxes into the government, your weekly withholdings.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Labor law [ 12 Answers ]

Hi, Iwas worked in the company for 5 years as A/P, the previous 4 years I was working fulltime then last year I asked for just work parttime 1/2 a day only for 5 days. The company was in financial trouble for the past couple years, the owner (A) had been paying late on the paychecks for my pay...

Labor law [ 6 Answers ]

I got fired from a job and when I went to return the shirts I had to wear there they said I didn't return them in time so I will not get my paycheck. I was never told about that when they fired me and I was away at school for about 3 weeks. They will not give me my paycheck for the entire pay...

Labor Law [ 2 Answers ]

Can a company just reclassify you as part time even if you are getting at least the minimum hours to maintain full time status and then deny you benefits?

Labor law in pa [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know if a 17 year old can be hired to be a grounds keeper at a business. He will be running lawn tractors/weed eaters/and snow plows

Labor Law [ 1 Answers ]

What are some advantages and disadvantages to join a union?

View more questions Search