Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Karensflower Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2011, 01:59 AM
    Mbna Mastercard
    I have an unsecured Mastercard from a us company(MBNA). I reside in Ontario the card started at 1500 in 2001 and now has a balance of nearly 50k... I have had a separation and onset of depression in the last year and simply have got behind and have been unable to hold any meaningfull employment... I just got a notice for 120days behind and a offer to reduce to 12k? I had been paying close to 1000/month in interest 6 months ago... what is up? What are the limitations of this,By the way they have always had the wrong name on my statements... wrong middle initial... lame but is there a chance that I can get away with not paying or at least settle for the 12k... they were adement about post dated cheques for 3k each... are they trying to extend the statuet of limitations?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 8, 2011, 04:38 AM
    If you are only 120 days behind, the SOL isn't even close to being up. So I doubt if that is the issue. Offering to settle for $12K on a $50K balance, even assuming that a lot of that is interest and fees, seems to be a generous offer. I would take it as long as you have it in writing.

And no, a middle initial being off is not going to get you out of the debt.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 8, 2011, 08:59 AM
    Yes, there are late fees and high interest, most likely around 20 or 25 percent interest on the money at this point. So if you are not even paying all the interest each month, you get farther and farther behind.

Dec 8, 2011, 10:06 AM
    How do they pin point the name then... no sin #, different address now?. wrong birthdate?. I see how easy identity theft happens now
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 8, 2011, 10:52 AM
    You have acknowledged this debt, you have made payments on it. That's why a name error is not going to get you out of the debt.

If you were claiming this debt isn't yours, that's a different matter.

Dec 8, 2011, 11:18 AM
    I will take the offer.. if I can raise the capital some how

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wolpoff and abramson sueing for mbna bank CC [ 2 Answers ]

My husband also received a summons for a cc debt in January.. I wrote a letter back to Wolpoff and Abramson (who is sueing him) asking for validation. I requested validation within 20 days. Two and a half months later we get a letter from Wolpoff and Abramson with copies of a credit card agrrement...

Mbna collection tatic [ 4 Answers ]

I received a letter from a messenger today stating that I am beind sued by mbna over dedbt that was at least 6 yrs old. I was told I needed to respond to the justice of the peace by 10 days. I reside in Texas what do I need to do its scary

Mastercard Wedding [ 5 Answers ]

Subject: Mastercard Wedding You've got to love this guy. This is a true story about a recent wedding that took place at Clemson University. It was in the local newspaper and even Jay Leno mentioned it. It was a huge wedding with about 300 guests. After the wedding, at the...

I am being sued my MBNA [ 1 Answers ]

I am with a debt consolidation company and have been for over a year. MBNA is the account that I am using them for. I was served today with a court order to appear because they are suing for the full amount. I can not possible pay this which is why I went with the consolidation service. The...

Mbna creditor debt [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, my husband had a credit card through MBNA about 5 years ago, he was in an accident and used the card to pay his bill at the time. Then he let the card go and did not make payments, mostly because we have 3 kids and the economy in Michigan was bad so was hard to make ends meet! Anyway, the card...

View more questions Search