Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cece2711 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2011, 05:12 PM
    When does an employer need to notify you of COBRA?
    I live and worked in MA. I worked for the same employer for 20 years. They always paid my health insurance premium as a benefit to me. My last day of employment was Sept 30. I have not received a COBRA letter from my employer. The insurance was eligible until November 28. I received in the mail today a letter from the insurance carrier which I am deeming " COBRA Letter" as it states how to continue coverage and options. My questions are:
    1. Is it the responsibility of the employer to notify me that as of 10/7, I had no insurance coverage? I am not
    Sure how that date comes to play.
    What recourse do I have for coverage?
    2. I was always under the understanding that as an employer you had 14 days from time of separation to get the COBRA letter to the employee.
    3. I have been told that because my former employer did not send me a COBRA letter within the 14 days following the separation, that they will need to pay the premium of new coverage or the cost of the COBRA, is that true?
    4. The company has less than 20 employees, does that change any regulations with COBRA.
    Please advise
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2011, 05:28 PM
    From U.S. Department of Labor site:
    "Q3: Which employers are required to offer COBRA coverage?
    Employers with 20 or more employees are usually required to offer COBRA coverage and to notify their employees of the availability of such coverage. COBRA applies to plans maintained by private-sector employers and sponsored by most state and local governments."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    cece2711 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2011, 06:55 AM
    I guess Mini Cobra applies here. Can you tell me how that works and if the same laws governing COBRA apply?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cobra how long does employer have? [ 11 Answers ]

OK this insurance can be confusing. The last day of my coverage from my employers insurance was jan. 31. Although my last day working there was the last day in dec. I need to continue my insurance coverage. My question is how long does my employer have to send me the appropriate paperwork? I...

What happens when an employee does not notify the employer of a divorce? [ 3 Answers ]

The employee did not notify HR until a year after the divorce. Is the spouse still eligible for Cobra even though the employee did not notify the employer in a timely manner?

Does employer continue to pay insurance while waiting for a COBRA Insurance election? [ 1 Answers ]

When an employee has been terminated from employment, how many days after termination does the employer have to pay the insurance premium on the employee while waiting for the employee to decide on COBRA?

L1-A visa - When to notify USCIS [ 1 Answers ]

I am on L1-A visa from company C1. Couple of months ago my company C1 was taken over by company T1. T1 has several subsidiaries. Now I get salary from company S1 which is a subsidiary of T1. My question is : 1) Am I out of status as far as my visa L1-A is concerned? 2) If not then, do I...

Can you carry Cobra after coverage begins with new employer? [ 1 Answers ]

I am carrying Cobra from a previous employer. In Jan. I will become covered by my new employer's insurance. I know I will need surgery in the spring and wanted to know if I can continue to carry Cobra and have my surgery fully covered? The other part of this question is 65% of my Cobra is being...

View more questions Search