Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Starsha Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2011, 11:43 PM
    Bad Smell in 1 shower drain
    We have a problem with a really bad smell that comes from only our shower drain if we use the shower while it's raining. It doesn't matter if it's light rain or pouring, if we use the shower then a sewage smell comes out of the drain. Then the smells last a day or two before it goes away and it only happens with the one shower. What could cause this? Please help, I thought it could be a septic tank issue, but then again that would cause all the drains to smell and not just one, right?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 6, 2011, 06:33 AM
    I would start with the basics. Although the part about the rain puzzles me this could be sewer gas blown back from a partial blockage in the drain line.
    Trey this!
    Snake the shower drain followed by a large pan of boiling water and capped off with a few quarts of bleach. Get back to me with the results. Good luck, Tom
    Starsha Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2011, 12:57 PM
    Thank you I will give this a try and let you know.
    pete6 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2011, 01:52 PM
    Did you put this in or was it already in? It sounds like there is something wrong with the trap. That would be the only thing that would let a smell up through the drain
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 26, 2011, 06:35 AM
    That would be the only thing that would let a smell up through the drain
    Not quite so! While losing a trap seal will allow sewer gas to escape that's quite rare. Traps very rarely go bad by themselves.
    A more plausible explatintion would be a partial blockage. With a partial blockage the discharge runs down the drain line, hits a clog and bounces back sending a bubble of sewer gas ahead of it, Then the discharge slowly drains away. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New Shower was connected to Toilet drain and now we get smell from shower drain. [ 1 Answers ]

Used baking soda a vinegar to clean drain, but smell continues to be present. Read that I should have the air vent checked to see if it's clogged, but I get no smell from the other shower leading me to think it's just the gas backing up from the pipes. Also, how does an air vent get clogged? ...

When we take a shower (second floor) there is a bad smell in drain in basement [ 3 Answers ]

Hi - we live in an old Victorian house that is emitting a bad smell in basement when we show -and now is getting worse and the smell is strong enough to smell it on first floor (shower on second). Can you tell me what that means?

We had a bad smell (like dead rat) in our basement shower drain. [ 1 Answers ]

It went away after 6 months. We now have a strong dead rat smell in the basement bedroom across from the bathroom. Our basement is dry? What should we do?We need help in trying to figure out this bad odour. We are on city sewer. We built house 10yrs ago. Any suggestions?

Shower drain (not used)- bad smell [ 5 Answers ]

I have lived in my house for 5 years and we don't use this particular shower. In the last two months a bad smell has started coming from it. We thought that it was dry drain so we started running the water a couple times a week. Unfortunately the smell is still happening. Any ideas?

Drain noise,slow drain and bad smell from under house. [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to find if we have one problem or many. When it is very wet weather we have slow drains. Some times when running the washer it causes water to back up into the bathtub. Water also comes out around the bottom of the toilet. There is a lot of glub-glub noises that come from the kitchen,...

View more questions Search