Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rskap67 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2007, 06:22 AM
    King Charles caviler
    We went to the vet, he said my dog needs to put on weight, the next 3 weeks are critical. He put my dog on Science Diet A&R. My question is can I give my puppy a scrambled egg? I don't see why not, but I don't know.

Rob
    landlord advocate Posts: 283, Reputation: 36

Feb 10, 2007, 06:46 AM
    Under normal conditions there would not be a problem in giving a dog a scrambled egg. However, without knowing the reason for the vet visit, why the dog is low in body weight etc. I would be reluctant to give advice. Why not stick to the Science Diet for a few days and see what happens.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2007, 06:57 AM
    Usually I am a real curmudgeon when it comes to feeding a dog anything other that dog chow. In this case, it may not hurt unless he has been a picky eater. That is just one of the problems of very much other food. They then refuse to eat their dog chow, wanting the good stuff. Of course, it is almost impossible to make sure the dog is getting a complete and balanced diet if it includes much besides a carefully formulated dog chow.

If you are piling on extra calories for weight gain, a cooked egg shouldn't hurt. Raw eggs are still dangerous. Dogs may be more resistant to food poisoning than people, but still die of it. The egg shouldn't be necessary. If it was, the vet would have said so. Trust your vet, and the food he prescribed. Has your dog had health problems, that it is under weight? It is unusual for a healthy dog to be underweight.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2007, 07:06 AM
    I had a malamute with similar problems - the underweight and then put on special dog food. I asked my vet also about the egg and he told me "no yolk" but the egg white scrambled would be okay. But without knowing your specific problem, please ask your vet. Good luck with your dog.

Feb 10, 2007, 08:07 AM
    The puppy just came home last week. He is 5.5lbs. The vet said most likely he came from a puppy mill, which is disturbing because I had thought the breeder I purchased him from was a good one. Might still be but at the moment Brody is small, timid and does not have a good coat according to the vet. He put him on that dog vitamin, the science diet A R and some meds. Vet thinks he has kennel cough. He said the next 3 weeks are critical so of course I am very concerned.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2007, 08:13 AM
    Oh my goodness. I feel so sad for you and your puppy. Will your vet give you full backing if you decide to go after the kennel that sold you the puppy? Did you keep everything the kennel gave you as far as a contract or promises or guarantees? Nail them to the wall. I have total disgust with kennels that breed and sell like that. My (now ex) husband and I had to deal with one in Minnesota and we were part of a lawsuit that closed it down. Your puppy bears the wrongdoings of the sellers. Am so sorry.

You are right, the next three weeks are critical. Wishing you all good fortune and health for your puppy.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2007, 12:40 PM
    There is some useful material for new puppy owners at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251802 It is unfortunate you puppy has gotten of top a bad start. Keep us posted, and we will do all we can to help.

Feb 11, 2007, 08:11 AM
    Well, its Sunday morning and Brody had a very good day Saturday. Seems that the dry food needed to be softened with some water, mixed with some canned Science Diet A&D and nutrical. He ate it up in no time. Yesterday he had 4 good meals and this morning he ate very well again. He is so much more lively, follow up at the vet later on this week. We are still moving along very carefully but so far, he has made great strides the last 36 hrs. Will keep all of you updated. Thank you again for the adivce. This is a great forum, very glad I found it.

Rob

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Cavalier king charles spaniel puppy not eating much [ 1 Answers ]

We recently brought home our new puppy. He is almost 4 months old. He gets dry puppy food available all day to him. 3 times a day he gets wet mixed with some dry. He really is not eating much. Could this be due to his new surroundings?

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel won't eat [ 2 Answers ]

From an email: > I have a 7 week old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. She is not eating, > only when we force feed her. I am becoming very concerned because she is > shaking and sleeping a lot. We have given her karo syrup and maple > syrup as per our breeder. But she will not eat the food...

King charles help [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I bought a king charles from a breeder 8 days ago. She told us she was 3 yr old and had pups 4-5 weeks ago and they died, and she didn`t want to put her through it again so wanted her to go to a family home. We took her home and she is an absolutely great dog, she doesn`t mess in the house or...

View more questions Search