Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tierneysmama Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2011, 11:27 AM
    Signing the birth certificate but, not the biological father
    My fiancŽ and I got together when I was pregnant and he asked to sign my daughters birth certificate since the biological father did not want anything to do with her. Now in the past few months the father has gotten a hold of me and wants to be involved and is now taking me to court for visitation! How much trouble can I get to for my fiancŽ signing my daughters birth certificate? Thanks
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2011, 11:32 AM
    It's a crime for either one of you to swear to false information, which is the case with a birth certificate.

The father will request DNA testing. The child, the father and your fiancé will be tested.

The Court may - after lecturing you both - order that the birth certificate be changed. Keep in mind, though, that you have both committed a fraud.

Different Judges have different "spins" on this.
    tierneysmama Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2011, 11:37 AM
    Thank you! I was not sure and was not sure that I could get in trouble and if I do it is worth it since, my daughter will grow up knowing that she had a dad who loved her not a mom who got with the wrong man who walked away!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 5, 2011, 11:37 AM
    It will be up to the court and also perhaps how big a issue the bio father is going to make of this.

Most likely if the bio father has not be denied any visits the judge will give you and the man a stern warning about the law and respect of it. Of course this is a serious fraud and can be prosecuted as such in criminal court also. So anything from a fine to even jail time is possible.

As a side note, the bio father can also use this if he wants to try and show you were attempting to keep the child from him and use it to attempt to get better visits or joint custody.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2011, 02:45 PM
    Now I'm a little confused - your daughter is most likely going to grow up with the birth father in her life. I don't see a Court NOT allowing him visitation and, if the Court is upset enough, custody - because you lied.

The fiancé? He has no say in any of this UNLESS you get married, are in a stable marriage and he wants to adopt her AND the birth father is willing to sign his consent.

Did you understand the various advice you've received?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Biological father not on birth certificate. [ 43 Answers ]

I know who the father of my child is, he was there when my son was born. He didn't sign the birth certificate. He left when my child was 3 months old. I got married to a sgt in the Army and moved to where my husband is located. I told my son's father a month before we left that he could take me to...

Legal Father Is Not Biological Father - How Do I Change The Birth Certificate? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a question, I have a 9 year old. I'm married and my husband's name in on the Birth Certificate of my 9 year old. I would like to tell my daughter who her real father is. I called her bio father and he does not want to do the DNA to see if it is his daughter. What are my options? Can he...

Putting biological father on birth certificate, and changing name back to biological [ 8 Answers ]

My mom and my stepfather are deceased and I'm an adult and want my biological father and my name changed back to his name since it was done without his consent, he is still alive and agrees. Can the courts do this?

Non biological father on birth certificate [ 4 Answers ]

I am getting ready to have a baby and the biological father is not exactly taking part. He has dropped out of high school, he is unemployed, and couldn't provide the proper care for a baby. I am getting legally married before baby is born and my baby will then have my husbands last name. Can my...

Possible father signing the Birth Certificate [ 6 Answers ]

Okay, I am 4 months pregnant. There are two possible fathers to my child and I am unsure who is the biological one. One of the guys, I haven't spoken to in over 3 months, and the other is set on being the father, he has taken me to doctor appointments, he wants the baby to have his lastname and be...

View more questions Search