Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Im_a_writer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2011, 08:12 AM
    How do I get my work back?
    I can't find the workspace switcher and the bottom panel won't display hidden windows.

Here is how it started: I was working away when all of a sudden everything on my desktop slides left into oblivion.

I am not a programmer so please don't talk techspeak to me as that will only frustrate me further but I do know that my operating system is the Debian Ubuntu version of Linux. I speculate that when the upgrade from 9 to 11 that Ubuntu forced down my throat took away my old word processor (which worked perfectly well and I was happy with it) and stuck me with something called LibreOffice Writer that this new word processor is the source of the problem. It has a low capacity because it is constantly giving error messages about document recovery. Before I lost my normal desktop, one of these recovery problems was occurring.

I am a writer and nothing infuriates a writer more than bad word processing software. LibreOffice Writer also can lock up a thumb drive and render it useless but I have discovered ways to work around that. But I need my bottom panel back functioning and identifying minimized windows. Right now I cannot minimize anything because if I do, it is gone forever. This makes for a crowded desktop and extreme inconvenience to the point that I cannot work.

How do I get minimized and hidden windows to show on the bottom panel? Nothing in system preferences or administration helps and the Ubuntu website is all full of indecipherable unhelpful techspeak but no live humans to answer questions.

I can't be the only one who has had this problem.
    cmeeks Posts: 754, Reputation: 64

Dec 6, 2011, 11:26 AM
    LibreOffice is nearly identical to OpenOffice. When Oracle bought Sun they made it real hard for the people working on OpenOffice so they forked and became Libreoffice. Open office installers are available here. I believe your problem is more to do with the new desktop environment in Ubuntu 11.10 and not Libreoffice. I like you did not feel that Unity worked with the way I work so I switched to Xubuntu using the XFC desktop. The Unity desktop messes with windowing in many programs I had problems in LibreOffice and Gimp. If you switch you will need to backup your home directory remember to show hidden files when pulling the backup and reloading your data. I like Xubuntu I did install evolution and uninstall Thunderbird but other than that I found it to be a good desktop.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

He's gone back to his ex- will it work? [ 12 Answers ]

Hope someone can inspire me! I've been going out with a lovely man for 4 months, and had high hopes for our relationship. He had been in a ten year relationship which broke up a year and a half before I met him. But when his ex found out about me, she went all out to get him back. He became very...

Back to work [ 4 Answers ]

Well, it's almost time to go back to work. I've been off since Christmas eve... well sort of, I was on call until last Sunday, but still, it's been a long vacation. Well, sort of, it's kind of been a working vacation. They got me a new service truck on Wendesday, and I've been busy getting it set...

Back to work! [ 1 Answers ]

Recent Quips from Late Night "Four years ago today, President Bush gave his Iraq victory speech in front of the 'Mission Accomplished' banner. Well, I'm glad that's all behind us." --David Letterman "Here's the latest scandal in Washington: ... They say on '20/20' this week, the D.C. madam...

My boss won't let me come back to work. [ 4 Answers ]

I've been off work for a month due to surgery,the doctor gave me a note saying I can return to work but on light duty for the first two weeks. My boss won't let me return to work until I am all better. I am a cashier and most of my work is light duty type work, the heavy stuff has been done by...

View more questions Search