Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tallwoman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2011, 06:06 PM
    Wage garnishments and Liens how do they tie intogether?
    Can a credit card debtor garnish wages if they have put a lien or judgement against you? How do they do that? Also will the state of Illinois give you notice?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 4, 2011, 06:14 PM
    The lender has to go to court and get a judgement before they can do a lien or before they can do a judgement.

Liens and garnishments don't "tie" together, one is one thing the other something else. But yes, they can get a lien, but the fact is they still don't have their money, so they can also get a garnishment. When they are totally paid, the lien will be released.

Normally they will just get a garnishment if they have a judgement. You will be notified of a court action for the judgement. After they get a judgement, normllay you don't know what else happens till it happens.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 4, 2011, 07:12 PM
    A judgment occurs when a person is sued in a civil suit and the court awards damages to the plaintiff.

A lien is one way the plaintiff has to try and collect the judgment. A wage garnishment or attachment of other assets are other ways they can collect.

The plaintiff is required to service you notice of the suit. But once a judgment is awarded you will, generally not receive prior notice of collection actions taken.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wage Garnishments [ 6 Answers ]

I pawned my car title 3 years ago. Barrowed $800 and paid back $1200. Could not afford to keep paying, car was breaking down, I was having medical problems. I stopped paying. The kept calling me so I told them to just come and get the car. They refused, they said that they didn't want the car that...

Wage Garnishments [ 3 Answers ]

I only work part-time. I get about 20-23 hours per week. I make $8.50 per hour. Can my check be garnished?

Wage Garnishments [ 2 Answers ]

Can wages be garnished if you are employed and covered under the Jones Act?:confused:

Wage garnishments [ 2 Answers ]

How do I find out what the laws are for the state of ga and wage garnishments?

Wage Garnishments [ 8 Answers ]

I am trying to stop garnishment of my wages. I purchased some furniture and fell behind in the payments. I have tried to work something out with the debtor but they refuse to make any kind of arrangements. On the bottom of my pre-judgement statement, it states that the plaintiff may file for a...

View more questions Search