Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    noenginer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2011, 04:24 PM
    Phone not working, internet is
    I have AT&T internet running through the phone jack I just replaced (old one was broken), but there is no dial tone on my phone (I have a line splitter plugged into the jack). Connected red to red and green to green, the other wires (white with orange dots) do not seem to make a difference. Help
    GoldenJmm Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2011, 05:18 PM
    Hi,
    First some of the phones need to be in touch with the receiver. What I mean some have a code in them. My son has the same three phones I have. Only one works, the chewed up one that one of the dogs ate, but it works. I know he had a problem with his. We live in the same house. I know for some reason my other two were replaced. These phones need to be in sync with the receiver. If you have the directions, look at them there are codes that activate the phone. If you are like me forget it, you have the directions, but who knows where it is. It is always in a place that is safe so I will remember, well I got so many places I forget. Sometimes you need to shut off the phone like the computer and count to a minute to then restart it again. I would do the computer and the phone too. Check to see if it is charging. Check outside where they put the box. If that has a dial tone, then your phone should be ringing. This will save a step before you call the company that you get a computer that never understands you. It might be on their end too. So if it is charged, does not need a battery is on ON. The phone is coded to the holder. That is why I have three phones and one works. I know my son when his did not did a little changing. So I miss phone calls. Most are looking for money anyway or bill collectors. I know why the other two do not work they are not in synch with the holders. If you changed the jack, try out the reliable one if you have one of the old phones you can snap in. Those ones lasted, except I had a 50ft. Cord to bring it with me. You have to find the box outside or if you call the telephone company, that is the first question they ask. Then they say if it is inside you have to pay. They make these new phones which are great, but unless you are an engineer on some of them forget it. If hooked up to internet you might have to reboot the whole system. Asking son about wiring, check to see if the line splitter is getting a good connection. If all else fails, I hate to say call AT&T make sure you check the outside first so you can say there is a dial tone there. That is where again the older phone comes in with just the plug in. If you got which I might get the Jack that costs 19.95 a year then call them and make sure all connections are secure. I hope I helped you some. Me I have to call cable when the clicker does not work. It is usually the one who holds the clicker that pressed the wrong button. But I call and am on hold for ever to recode that. Good Luck to you. Rehook everything up, if it does not work and the service is, take the phone back. Believe me I have had ones bought before that I think someone exchanged and another trip to the store I went. My son says yes black to black color to color, he would have to see the phone. I said you probably live 500 miles away, lol. He would help, it takes him a few months to help me, but I am just his mother. I hope I helped a bit. Another thing you can do is chat with the tech online that you have service with. If they can understand me, who knows nothing about wiring you got a shot. They even call you too. For me they go step by step too. Most techs are great. Don't forget to give them an above average with their help. That for you might be a better idea. They deal with the illiterate of the tech world, I am sure they will help you. You said your internet worked so if all else fails go for it. Then you are at least not on hold for 45 minutes. Happy Holidays to you.
    Joan
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2011, 05:51 AM
    Was there dial tone on the jack before replacing?
    Test with a known good working landline phone and cord.
    When you call your phone from a cell or another phone, does it ring and ring, or ring busy?
    Busy means shorted or off hook.
    Did you try removing ALL phones and devices on phone line(fax,answering machine... )? Ringing means it is open.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2011, 04:05 PM
    If you have a voltmeter, look for about 48 Volts DC. Negative goes to red, and Positive hooks to the green.
    The orange with whites sound like the old cat 3 wiring, they use blue pairs, then orange pair. It is a little odd hyavin red, green, and orange with white in the same cable.
    I have seen electricians use thr Orange for the red, because it is close to the color red, solid red and green are not used in category rated wiring.
    Confirm this is DSL.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Internet,Tv,Phone- what's the best deals out there [ 2 Answers ]

Cable, Phone & Internet. What's the best package out there. I'm in Vienna Trumbull County Ohio. Is the DirecTV package of cable,internet,phone any good. How does direcTV compare to Time Warner Cable. Is there better options out there, I would like to know what you can tell me. Thanks Ron

Rewiring my phone jack so that I can have my phone on one and my internet [ 1 Answers ]

I am getting internet in my house and the phone co. said I had to rewirer the line in my bedroom so it would not mess with my other phone line how do I rewire it and do you have a pic I could go by

CAT 5 can it work for both phone and internet? [ 18 Answers ]

Hi, I am buying a newly built home. I have a deadline June 19/2009 to submit all the upgrades. I am not that technical savvy; I have couple of questions about the internet connections. Builder is providing CAT 5 connections to all bedrooms and kitchen. In the model home I saw a phone...

View more questions Search