Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    naina1991 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2011, 12:13 PM
    Long distance problem.
    Well my case is a little complex. I've had a bad past, and a bad relationship, where I was in a big trouble. But I moved on after the break up.

Its been a year now and I've been talking to my childhood friend a lot. We've been really good friends since 17 years, and recently I am having feelings for him, and he's hinting me that he is interested.

But the thing is, he went for higher studies to a different country! We talk on phone, and internet but I really fear if this thing gets serious, and doesn't work out, I'll be in pain again. Still I want to give it a try because I like him a lot. Please help!
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2011, 12:27 PM
    Hi naina1991,

Any chance either of you could plan a visit to see the other? Long distance relationships have their challenges, but they can be successful. It obviously helps tremendously if you know that there is the possibility of it no longer being long distance at some point.

Take things slow... continue to talk frequently... try to figure out a way to get some visits in back and forth if at all possible.

In time, if it appears this is becoming even more serious, one of you will likely need to make a decision about moving. Or, perhaps both of you may make a move to a new location together.
    naina1991 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2011, 01:20 PM
    Thank you for the advice... :)by the way we are going to meet this year but he is himself not sure about where he is going to settle and he hasn't stated any seriousness about me yet but is it OK if I ask him about his plans because it would seem desperate if I do.I just don't want to lose him by running behind him.
    DaniCalifornia Posts: 655, Reputation: 152

Dec 4, 2011, 01:48 PM
    There's no reason not to go for it. Worst case: It's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

X Dani
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2011, 01:50 PM
    It wouldn't seem unusual to ask about his plans since you are his friend. Besides, his plans may change if things became serious. Your plans may change as well.

See how things go... you will likely know before too much longer if the interest becomes stronger.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 4, 2011, 06:31 PM
    Relax, and see how things go without expectations because it's a BIG difference liking someone you have know, and being partners in a relationship.

The distance will not help you I don't think.
    vanheart Posts: 2,806, Reputation: 708
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2011, 12:17 AM
    I agree with Tal. Relax.

Stop with the expectations.

Sometimes old friends are just that. Going back is easy.

Look ahead, not backwards. If he wants you, you will know.
    Don't wait around, though. Or press it.

Long distance waiting is a fools game. Believe me.

"he hasnt stated any seriousness about me yet"

There you go. Then why be serious about him?

Do you own thing.

That's the best thing you can do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Long distance really? [ 4 Answers ]

Hey guys so after a long time of agony over a sucky boyfriend I met this really sweet guy. We hit it off really well and soon we began to spend a lot of time together. After a few months he asked me out and I told him I would think about it. Now the problem is his house is a 3 hour drive from mine...

Long Distance Help [ 9 Answers ]

Hi So basically I've been dating this uy for 3 months, the first month was great as we were in the same country and we'd spend a lot of time together but I had to go abroad for uni and for the past 2 month its been rocky. In the month I was back home with him everything was great, like only a...

How long is too long for a long distance relationship? [ 8 Answers ]

I am in LDR hell here, or so it seems.. before we were long distance, my boyfriend and I had been together for 3 months. It doesn't really seem that long but we were so close and I had the best time with him. So anyhow, he went off to Florida to start college in August this summer. At first,...

The long distance or is it him? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm sorry if this story is long but the background is important. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am 25 years old and my ex is 27. We met in the first year of law school and then he moved five hours away for school. Before he moved away, I got...

Long Distance [ 8 Answers ]

I've been seeing this guy for about four months now. He lives kind of far from where I am. We've been talking about moving in together. I know it's soon. He wants me to move there and I'm a little nervous. He's already looking at a place. I'm not sure if I should wait or not. I love him and can...

View more questions Search