Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marleyjeanne Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2011, 12:17 AM
    Buyer wants to pay me off early on a 30 year owner contract?
    The person who bought a house from me on a 30 yr owner contract ( no restriction in contract for early pay off--) now is thinking he may want to pay it off after aprox 16 years. Actually he would like me to lower the interest rate which is at 9% or if I won't do that he said he will pay me off. I doubt Ill lower the rate but how do I figure out the amount due if paid off now? This guy also bought property from my father ( who was 87 yrs old at the time but sharp as a tack! ) and tried to get away with cutting almost $140,000.00 off the price but the courts caught him! So of course I don't trust him to tell me the amount due without checking myself! Ill also need to figure out how much I still owe to the seller I bought it from as I still have a few years left on my owner contract... help? Im no math whiz but if someone could explain the mathmatical method I sure would appreciate it! Thank You, Marley Jeanne
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 4, 2011, 04:45 AM
    'Amortization' calculators are online or in software like Excel or Open Office. You enter the price of the house, the number of payments (360, since he pays you monthly for 30 years, right?), and the interest rate, and you get a table. You look at the balance on the line representing the payment he wants to be the last - such as 16 x 12 = 192. That's the payoff amount.

If you want someone here to do it, give us the numbers.

You would be better off lowering his interest rate. You will be hard pressed to earn anymore than 3% in a safe investment. I'd consider 6%. Unless you need the cash now.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 4, 2011, 06:41 AM
    Changed my mind, because interest rates of course will go up again within the next 14 years, so calculate the payoff and pay yours off too. Or write a new contract for an adjustable rate loan, maybe using a lawyer this time.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 4, 2011, 07:34 AM
    If you have Excel, there is an amortization template you can download. Amortization is how banks calculate how much of each payment goes to principal and how much goes to interest.

What you refer to as an "owner contract" sounds more like a mortgage. Does the contract specify a total amount to be paid or does it specify that the purchase price is x and payments will be made at 9% interest over 30 years at X amount per month?

If the contract does specify an interest rate, then its essentially a mortgage. Using an amortization calculator either with a spreadsheet program or online, will show the breakdown of principal and interest for each payment. It will them show the principal balance after each payment. That is the payoff balance. So you can tell the buyer, that the payoff balance effect x date is $x. You can tell him this amount rises daily as interest accrues.

This amount is NON negotiable, unless you want to give him a break to get your balance up front. But with interest rates so much lower now, he may be able to get a 15 year mortgage at under 5% which will be a lower payment then he's paying now.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 7, 2011, 02:53 PM
    MJ: if you can tell us:

1. the original amount of the mortgage,
    2. The date the mortagge went into effect,
    3. The interest rate, and
    4. How much per month he has been paying

Then we can calculate the payoff amount. Actually we don't need item 4, but it would be good to verify that the amount he has been paying corresponds to the amount he borrowed and interest rate.
    marleyjeanne Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2011, 11:59 PM
    1.$53,250.00 2.June ,1999 3.9% 4. $428.46
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 8, 2011, 04:25 AM
    Assuming the loan originated 6/1/99 as of 12/1 the prinicpal balance would have been $45,321.08

By the way the Payment is correct for a 30 yr mortgage at 9%. However, its not 16 years if it originated in 1999.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 8, 2011, 07:57 AM
    I agree with ScottGem. All I would add is that if he has made the payment that was due December 1, 2011 then his current pay-off amount is $45,232.53.

I am attaching an excel spreadsheet that shows how the principal declines with each payment. Go down to line 150 and across to column I ("Ending Balance") to see the current balance.
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: xls LoanAmortization1.xls (197.5 KB, 109 views)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Signed a 3-year adv. Contract but they messed up address.. do we have to pay? [ 0 Answers ]

We signed a 3 year advertising contract... paid them the first instalment then realized they had our address wrong in the advertisement... are we still honour bound to pay them?

Can one employer pay one person both W2 wages & 1099 contract amt in one year [ 4 Answers ]

Can one employer pay a person both W2 wages and 1099 contract labor pay in the same year?

Can a buyer get their non-refundable deposit back if buyer broke the contract [ 3 Answers ]

A lady called a breeder on Monday 14 and Tuesday 15 of December want to buy one of the breeders pups breeder told the lady what her asking price was for puppies and that their was a $100.00 non-refundable deposit to hold pup but would later go toward the price when sale was completed the lady came...

Upon death of a seller in a real estate contract, how to get a buyer out of contract [ 23 Answers ]

In the state of Missouri, a seller in the middle of a sales contract died. The closing time is not yet lapsed and all the contingencies on the buyer side is fulfilled. There is will in place and an executor named for the estate already. The son (named executor) can not legally sign for the deceased...

View more questions Search