Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jammy23 Posts: 545, Reputation: 0

Dec 3, 2011, 06:39 PM
    Small engine leak
    My mechanic is a friend, not a person who would rip me off. My engine light came on.
    It happened a few months ago too and always after major traffic jam into the city.

He used his diagnostic device and said he found a small leak in the engine. He said
    I can take it to the dealer (oh, I have a 2002 Hyunday Elantra) but it will probably
    Cost me a good deal of $$. He suggested I continue to use the car. He put out the
    Light. What is your opinion.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Dec 3, 2011, 07:02 PM
    We need to know what is leaking to start with before any of us could even guess for you.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2011, 09:43 PM
    I'm not a mechanic who would rip you off either. I like to help car distress victims out. For free!
    However, my opinion is going to be a complete shot in the dark because we need as much information as possible to help us to help you.
    For instance, your mechanic friend must have given you a number, (a code) as to why your engine light was on.
    Let's see... extended idling in heavy traffic jams. Possible lazy 02 sensors? Bad catalyst?
    Oil leaks... hmmm, Hyunday... okay, another shot in the dark here but I'll say the timing cover because I've just seen one done in the shop, and yes, that looked like a pricey repair.
    But I can't tell you to just keep on driving it from this end. Hope I helped.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Oil leak between rear engine and transmission [ 3 Answers ]

2 months ago I went to the ford dealer to flush my transmission with amsoil synthetic on my 05 3/4 f250. Last week I noticed a oil leak between the rear engine and transmission. Anyone had similar problems?

P0442 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak) [ 3 Answers ]

P0442 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak) on a dodge dakota 2001 3.9liter 4x4

Small Leak in Flat Roof [ 2 Answers ]

I have a flat roof with a slight pitch. It is a 1 floor addition on a 2 story house. I noticed a leak for the first time the other day after an unusually intense rain. The roof is a couple of years old - it was redone just before I moved in. The roofing appears to be slabs of tar/asphalt. The...

Small water leak in refrig [ 1 Answers ]

Small water leak in refrig at dad's house. Small amount of water on floor under front of frige. Thanks in advance

Engine Oil Leak/Antifreeze Leak--2001 Chrysler Town and Country [ 1 Answers ]

My 2001 T & C has 82K and what I am told, by a reputable source,but not a mechanic, is an engine oil leak. The leak seems to be toward the front and middle. I haven't noticed an oil smell, any smoke, etc... but we are also trapped in below zero weather in Nebraska. I was also told there is an...

View more questions Search