Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kstevenb Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2007, 09:29 PM
    AOL IM Buddy list
    I have several different sign on names on AOL. Each sign on has different IM buddy list with different contacts on them. On my old computer I could open the IM buddy list for the name I was signed into as well as one of my other sign on names. How do I set up that feature on my new computer
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 10, 2007, 04:29 PM
    I don't recall AOL having that feature. If you use AIM you can import your buddy lists to different names. You can use an IM client like Trillian to combine several accounts under one client.

Feb 10, 2007, 04:34 PM
    On my old computer I could have both IM's (each with a different name) on at the same time when I would leave my main sign in name and go to my second name the IM icon for my primary name would appear bown near the time. I could double click on it and then it would open. I had both ope at the same time. I did it long time ago through I'm some how.
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Feb 10, 2007, 04:39 PM
    By chance did you also have AOL running at the same time? You can do that then.

Feb 10, 2007, 04:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSavage
    By chance did you also have aol running at the same time? You can do that then.

Yes I use AOL and it was so how did I do it??

Feb 10, 2007, 04:44 PM
    You were probably logged into AOL on one ID and AIM under another.

Feb 10, 2007, 04:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    You were probably logged into AOL on one ID and AIM under another.

I was logged into Aol under one of my account names and AIM under both names can't remember how I did that but I did not use an outside program??

Feb 10, 2007, 04:53 PM
    Yes you did, you used AIM.

Feb 10, 2007, 04:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Yes you did, you used AIM.

I can figure out how I did it?? Can you help. Thanks for all your time .

Feb 10, 2007, 06:07 PM
    You open 1 screen name in the AOL program --the 2nd with aim -- wala both screen names are on line and you can chat with yourself

Feb 10, 2007, 06:11 PM
    you open 1 screen name in the aol program --the 2nd with aim -- wala both screen names are on line and you can chat with your self

What ever screen name I am under the IM for that name auto opens. How do I got to aim to open the other one?? Thanks for all your time

Feb 10, 2007, 06:15 PM
    Enter the other screen name and password in the aim program and just sign on. [Its been a long time since used AOL but pretty sure that was all there was to it] edit --just picked up what you meant -- you will have to go to preferences and turn auto sign on --off

Feb 10, 2007, 06:20 PM
    Note that I do not use aim anymore --I use a chat client that will sign on to aim/msn/yahoo all with the same client. Its called gaim / open source and free.

Feb 10, 2007, 06:22 PM
    enter the other screen name and password in the aim program and just sign on. [Its been a long time since used aol but pretty sure that was all there was to it] edit --just picked up what you meant -- you will have to go to preferences and turn auto sign on --off

How do I get to the aim program? On my old computer there was a little yellow running guy right down by the clock. When I changes screen names on the new computer I don't know how to find the aim program to sign in.

Feb 10, 2007, 06:25 PM
    So you do not have aim on your PC currently?

Feb 10, 2007, 06:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kstevenb
    How do I get to the aim program? on my old computer there was a little yellow running guy right down by the clock. when i changes screen names on the new computer i don't know how to find the aim program to sign in.

I was hoping someone could help.

Feb 10, 2007, 06:29 PM
    You hear that thumping sound? Its me banging my head on desk laughing -- next time just ask --how do I get aim
    AIM.com

Feb 10, 2007, 07:44 PM
    You hear that thumping sound? its me banging my head on desk laughing -- next time just ask --how do I get aim
    AIM.com

I know you are ready to give up on me. I get to aim.com then what??

Feb 10, 2007, 07:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kstevenb
    I know you are ready to give up on me. I get to aim.com then what????
    You read the instructions at that site. Its pretty clear.

Feb 10, 2007, 08:04 PM
    Lol give up is not in my dictionary go to the bar near the top /downloads /aim 6.0 -- in the next window select install now -- a dialog box will open asking you what you want to do -- either select run now or save to disk.
    When you install the program make sure you uncheck any boxes offering free toolbars etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Want a fitness buddy [ 4 Answers ]

HEY :D I was wondering if there was anyone who would like to be fitness penpals over the internet.? I am a very athletic girl, yet I am struggling at reaching my ideal body type. I hope there is another person out there who would want to share experiences and successes with me... reply to this...

Want a fitness buddy [ 2 Answers ]

HEY I was wondering if there was anyone who would like to be fitness penpals over the internet. I am a very athletic girl, yet I am struggling at reaching my ideal body type. I hope there is another person out there who would want to share experiences and successes with me... reply to this...

Want a fitness buddy [ 2 Answers ]

HEY I was wondering if there was anyone who would like to be fitness penpals over the internet. I am a very athletic girl, yet I am struggling at reaching my ideal body type. I hope there is another person out there who would want to share experiences and successes with me... reply to this...

View more questions Search