Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ellie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2007, 09:21 PM
    Eliminating in crate
    I have read some of the answers for dog pooping in crate. I have a 2 months old boston terrier. He knows to go on the training papers and he has started to go outside. He goes in the crate at night and cries all night, but he also eliminates in his crate which I thought they were not supposed to do where they sleep.

We got him from a farm and was probably held in a pen. The first clue I got was when the door of the crate was open and he walked in and pooped in the crate. He has also tried to do it a few times and I steered him to the papers but when left in the crate for a few hours he has gone in the crate.

Can anyone help to fix this problem?

Thank you,

Ellie
    [email protected]
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2007, 07:39 AM
    I sometimes wonder how much experience people writing books or websites have. I am appalled at some of the garbage I see on websites. As I suggested in my answer yesterday, there doesn't seem to be an authoritative answer to this problem. I strongly suspect part of the problems are from puppies shut up in a small cage and not allowed to keep it fresh. I have been attending monthly meeting for years with about a dozen people raising puppies, and don't remember anybody ever mentioning such a problem. I have also visited the homes of the people raising the puppies and seen how carefully they care for those puppies.

Allowed to follow their instincts or mother's training, a dog will withdraw from the pack's den to eliminate. Newborns can't eliminate without the stimulation of there mother licking them. I have watched a mother pick up a crying baby and carry it to the far corner of the whelping box. There she sits it down and licks it until it eliminates. She then carries it back to the corner with the rest. The host family can then clean it up. When the puppies are big enough to eliminate on their own, they withdraw as far as they can to eliminate. Weather permitting, the host family may move the litter outside to a bigger X-pen. Such well cared for puppies never are a problem and housebreak easily.

What you need to do is watch him carefully. If he is playing, or gets up from a nap, and heads for the crate, say no, and gently pick him up and carry him outside. If he doesn't do anything, let him play around a little making sure he move around to stimulate his body. He should have to to go son. Praise him for it.

There are some more things in the stickies that will help including crying in the crate and knowing when a puppy needs to go out. See https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/information-articleI sometimes wonder how much experience people writing books or websites have. I am appalled at some of the garbage I see on websites. As I suggested in my answer yesterday, there doesn't seem to be an authoritative answer to this problem. I strongly suspect part of the problems are from puppies shut up in a small cage and not allowed to keep it fresh. I have been attending monthly meeting for years with about a dozen people raising puppies, and don't remember anybody ever mentioning such a problem. I have also visited the homes of the people raising the puppies and seen how carefully they care for those puppies.

Allowed to follow their instincts or mother's training, a dog will withdraw from the pack's den to eliminate. Newborns can't eliminate without the stimulation of there mother licking them. I have watched a mother pick up a crying baby and carry it to the far corner of the whelping box. There she sits it down and licks it until it eliminates. She then carries it back to the corner with the rest. The host family can then clean it up. When the puppies are big enough to eliminate on their own, they withdraw as far as they can to eliminate. Weather permitting, the host family may move the litter outside to a bigger X-pen. Such well cared for puppies never are a problem and housebreak easily.

What you need to do is watch him carefully. If he is playing, or gets up from a nap, and heads for the crate, say no, and gently pick him up and carry him outside. If he doesn't do anything, let him play around a little making sure he move around to stimulate his body. He should have to to go son. Praise him for it.

There are some more things in the stickies that will help including crying in the crate and knowing when a puppy needs to go out. See https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251802

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Pooping in crate [ 13 Answers ]

I have had a 14 week old Bichon Frise for 5 days. On the first night he slept in his crate after about a 1/2 hr of barking and slept through without pooping. I feed him Nutro and walk him after every meal and more-lots of toy chasing and running around. Every night after the first night he has...

Crate training [ 1 Answers ]

Ok, my friend has a 5 month-old min-pin, she got him from someone who got exasperated with trying to house-train him because he kept peeing and pooping in his crate. I told her to make sure he uses the bathroom before bed and all that and she has done that but he is still doing it. I thought I'd...

Puppy eliminating in crate [ 3 Answers ]

Our beloved 14 week old golden retriever puppy has been mostly urinating in her crate when left alone. She is completely dry during a 7-8 hour night. The urination (and occasional defacation) occurs despite water being withheld and despite being left in her crate no more than 3-4 hours. She...

Eliminating Laundry Tub In Basement ? [ 2 Answers ]

I just moved into a house with a 'finished' basement. The laundry room right now has a washer draining into one side of the double laundry tub sink by means of a hose. Sometimes the floor drain backs up or the sink drains slowly as the washer drains. I would ideally like to eliminate the...

Eliminating pregaps with mp3s in data format [ 2 Answers ]

Ok I'm not a total n00b when it comes 2 this area but of late I've been feeling really dumb and wouldn't mind some help! Im trying 2 burn some mp3 mixsets onto 2 disc in data format, each mixset is in track 4 track format, as in, it's a continuous mix but broken up so as 2 allow u 2 skip from track...

View more questions Search