Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jasperdigby Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2011, 10:58 PM
    Statute of limitations ontario rent debt
    I changed apartments 2 1/2 years ago, and subletted my first apartment to someone for the remainder of the lease.
    Now I received a letter from a collection agency stating that I owe rent from 2 1/2 years ago, so I guess the subletter failed to pay rent and it appears I am held responsible for the amount owing.
    I live in Ontario. Does the statute of limitations of 2 years apply in the case of rent debt?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 3, 2011, 06:28 AM
    First, the SOL would go from the when the sub tenant stopped paying, not when he moved in. But, yes I agree that this would fall under Ontario's 2 year SOL.

However, that doesn't mean they can't still try to collect. An SOL simply means they can't file suit against you. The debt still remains.

So you need to find out WHEN the breach occurred. If it occurred within 2 years, they can still sue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ontario - debt statute of limitations [ 10 Answers ]

I was recently contacted by a debt collector who told me I owed an Ontario University money. I have not attended that school since 1999 and this was the first corresponence I received regarding this debt. I would like to know if they can take me to court for this, and if not, can they put this...

Statute of Limitations on Debt Collection in Ontario [ 0 Answers ]

In 1987 I purchased a car while living in British Columbia. I divorced in 1995 and my wife took the car and the payments. We did this without having anything legally set down (dumb I know). She later declared bankruptcy and disappeared with the car. In 2005 I moved to Ontario and I went to...

Statute of limitations for debt, ontario canada [ 1 Answers ]

I have 4 debts, ( 3 cards,1 unsecured personal loan). At the behest of OCCA I stopped paying any of these debts over 3 yrs. Ago. With the changes in statute of limitation laws can I defend against court proceedings by 3rd party collectors or has bankruptcy become my only option? I have not had...

Ontario - debt statute of limitations [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, the debt collector sued me in 2008 for the debt of my credit card that was in 2001. I did not know that debt statute of limitations could be in effect during the court. I made an agreement of the amount to be paid and I am paying now my debt to collection agency on weekly basis. I do have a...

View more questions Search