Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MyNameIsEd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2007, 07:29 PM
    I Had Braces Once, But Now.
    I had braces for two years, from 7th-9th grade. When I got them off, I never wore my retainers, so my teeth shifted. Thankfully, my orthodontist had periodic checkups later in my 9th grade year and this isnpired me to shove my retainers back in. For a few more months, this shoving them in every month or so worked, until over the summer, I tried putting them back in after 3 months off. I had a new upper retainer fitted (my lower teeth were almost perfect without braces). And this new retainer fit at the beginning of 10th grade. But, after August of that year, I never wore it again. I never realized the point of braces, straightening teeth, but now I understand the social importance of it. I don't think its complete irresponsibility, I just was not aware of the significance at this young age. I didn't tell my parents again because I knew they'd be mad, but this is something that bothers me literally every day, because now I am noticing all my friends get their braces off, and I feel I look abnormal or goofy. It bothers me all the time, I can't stand it, nothing erodes my self-confidence more than this. In fact, I doubt I would have any self-confidence issues if it weren't for this.

Anyway, my teeth aren't quite as bad as they were back before braces (although its pretty close). There's not as large a gap in my front teeth, but its still noticeable. I guess it would take less time to have it fixed this time around. The thing is, I know my parents aren't going to let me get them again, my mom already told me, and I'm going off to college and braces will be a pain, so that's two whammys right there. I don't have a jaw problem or need headgear, I just need to push my top teeth in and together (braces took me 2 years), so I was wondering if Invisalign would be good for me perhaps, and how long it might take with that. I doubt my orthodontist could make me another retainer, my teeth have shifted too much. Also, I'm going to need some price estimates. This'll have to come out of my own 18 year old pocket since my parents already paid once. I know this is a lot to read, but any and all help is appreciated for my sorry, whiny self.
    kristynn Posts: 502, Reputation: 66

Feb 16, 2007, 08:08 PM
    Hey Ed,
    I've just had my braces removed. I've been wearing them for 2 years and a half. I understand it must be very frustrating to have your teeth the way they used to be before having braces...

You seem to be bothered by the fact that your friends don't have braces anymore and you'll have to wear them again. What you're describing doesn't seem like a huge problem though and I don't think it'll take a lot of time to fix. I would say, get those braces and I'll hope you'll have a retainer too... (my upper teeth tend to shift too but I'm wearing Invisalign as a retainer during the nigh). I personally prefer the brackets (the usual braces I used to have) instead of this Invisalign -- it's hard to talk when you wear it, lots of saliva, disgusting + it hurts as much as the others.
    Go with what your orthodontist recommends!
    As for the price, it should be less that what you initially paid, for sure!

Then, I'm sure you'll have perfect - or almost perfect teeth + lots of confidence! Also, don't forget, braces aren't only for kids! You'll see more and more often 50 year-old people wearing braces these days...
    + the invisible brackets are quite cute, aren't they?
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2007, 08:18 PM
    Invisalign will be more expensive than getting traditional braces again. If you do nothing your teeth will continue to shift and eventually go back to the way they were pre-braces. Go for the braces again - you should be able to work a payment plan out with your ortho to make it affordable, and maybe you should ask you parents to LOAN you the money if you can't pay for it yourself. I have braces, and I'm 25... it's not that big of a deal!
    jungle queen Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2007, 11:16 PM
    Maybe u need teeth bands that pull the teeth together.
    elliemac Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2011, 10:57 AM
    I had the same problem, got my brace off when I was 12, and I wore retainers for about a year and got lazy, I didn't realise how important it was. Im now 16 and just got braces again, though only on the upper teeth as my bottom teeth didn't move much. Im so glad I decided to get braces again and I know its going to be worth it :) Mine are a 1000 for the upper teeth which is paid as £100 a month and I'll have it for 6 months- a year. Definitely worth it for them to be straight again! Talk to your parents and maybe you could split the cost halfway. Good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The cost of braces [ 1 Answers ]

How much do braces cost

Braces [ 5 Answers ]

Is it a bad idea to get braces while you are missing a tooth?

Braces / Retainers [ 5 Answers ]

I had braces since I was in 4th grade until 7th grade. When I took my braces off in 7th grade, I wore my retainer for only about half of a year. I know I was supposed to wear it for a longer period, but I didn't. I am now in 10th grade and my teeth are still aligned perfectly (no retainer). Will...

Braces [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question can you drink beer.while having braces on? Thanks you

View more questions Search