Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jarren Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2011, 03:07 PM
    Did employer violate my privacy rights
    I recently failed a drug test with my employer. After the company and myself were notified I was terminated. While talking with the company president of human resources I asked that this matter be kept confidential. The next day I received many calls and texts from former workmates. It was quite apperant the had all the details of my termination. I spoke to nobody about this matter. Does the company have the right to disclose this information with to others without my consent?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 2, 2011, 03:54 PM
    You have no right to this kind of privacy unless it is specifically written into company policy.
    A company has every right to tell other employees (and future references) why you were fired, especially when that reason was a direct result of your violation of the terms of your employment.

If any information was wrong, that would be a different situation (might be difficult to prove).
    If they talked about private matters of your life outside of work or in the past such as when a background check was done, that would be different.
    osiris1 Posts: 13, Reputation: 3

Dec 20, 2011, 11:00 AM
    Assuming you're in the US, generally you have a right to privacy where there is a reasonable expectation on it. There shouldn't be hidden cameras in locker rooms or bathrooms because you have a reasonable expectation to privacy there. Health information is protected, even in the workplace, by HIPAA. The employer shouldn't be telling people about the results of a drug screen, but I really doubt you have a case (especially if it's true).
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 20, 2011, 12:05 PM
    osiris1, very little health information is protected in the workplace by HIPAA.
    That isn't even the question here.
    To say 'The employer shouldn't be telling people about the results of a drug screen, but I really doubt you have a case (especially if it's true)' is not helpful or meaningful. If an employer 'shouldn't' be doing something then why doesn't this person have a case? There is no law that protects him, and if you can find one, please publish it here.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Violation of Privacy Act? My privacy rights violated? [ 1 Answers ]

My landlord in retaliation for me serving him with a 60 day notice to move because he failed to fix problems told a creditor who was only calling to verify my resident that the vendor denied me the credit I needed because of that statement. Were my rights violated? Terry

Can I sue my employer or coworker for violating health privacy (HIPPA)? [ 6 Answers ]

I found myself in the hospital needing surgery. When I returned to work I found out that the general manager of the facility had violated my right to privacy regading some particular information about the situation to some coworkers as well as an ex-employee. Just trying to discoveer what kind of...

What are your rights if you violate probation? [ 2 Answers ]

If someone violated probation while a home search was being done and something was found and they were arrested, do they still have to read miranda rights to them? Can they look in someone's pocketbook at the home of someone else who they are checking on if you are both on probation but the person...

Did I violate this patients HIPAA rights? [ 1 Answers ]

I am the Supervisor of a POL. One of the employees of the X-Ray department asked me for a copy of her Mother's lab results. I refused, citing HIPAA regulations. The employee became very disruptive but I still refused to comply with her request. Because our facility has no clear protocol for...

Want to know about employer privacy act Indiana? [ 2 Answers ]

I was wanting to know the definition of the privacy act for Indiana.. Want to know what an employer can give out and what he cannot give out (that is of you personal info). Like address, phone number, employment records, etc... Thanks, Need Help 2

View more questions Search