Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    billtesh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2011, 02:35 PM
    Current for electric heater
    I have an electric (heat only) 220volt unit that I have wired with 10/3 to a 30 amp circuit breaker, the thermostat connection is my question. I intend to only run it a few minutes to take the chill off the gargage, can I put a wire between the thermostat connections W1 to R to G and make the unit come on. I understand the G runs the fan and W1 runs the heat coils, but how much current will this pull? Does it split the 220v on the heater coil 5Kw or does one side 120 volt run the heater at 40 amps? 5kw at 220v uses 22 amps, but if the heater runs from only one 120 side then I am looking at over 40 amps. There are 2 heater coils (w1 & w2), but I only intend to use 1 of them. I do not have a thermostat but the connections for one are w1-w2-R-C-G. Is 10/3 wire and a 30amp circuit breaker good enough to run this unit for maybe an hour at a time?

Check out some similar questions!

Find the Electric current [ 1 Answers ]

given a electrical network (in the picture) I asked to find all the current in each resistor. so for the start I found the RT,I got RT=3.5-ohm (I did it with the Y-Δ transform). then I calculate IT and I got IT=2A. all I know is R1=2A. but my problem is how to find the others current. ...

I have an all electric home and want to replace electric hot water heater with electr [ 2 Answers ]

We have a total electric home and want to replace the old water heater with an electric tankless whole house hot water heater. Gas is not available where we are. Is it practical?

Electric Chain Saw Current Draw [ 4 Answers ]

Over the years I have purchased two 3.5 HP electric chain saws and although using them only infrequently for trimming trees and clearing storm damage, I have cooked them both. I now have ordered a new Poulan 3.5 HP electric saw and it should be here (home) 08-18-2009. It's rated 12 Amps. I have...

Heater has no electric current [ 1 Answers ]

Recently I noticed my thermostat was blank. I check our heater (forced air Carrier) because it gets its power from there. The 5 amp mini-fuse was blown so I replaced it. The thermostat came on briefly but went out again. I had the mini-circuit breaker tested and half of it was bad, so I...

Electric Current running through water [ 7 Answers ]

Why is it that there is an electric current running through my water?

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.