Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tej Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2007, 05:28 PM
    1040NR-EZ Total wages and scholarships exempt by a treaty
    I came to US in October, 06 on H1B visa from India and would be filing my US returns for the first time. I would be filing my 1040NR-EZ form and in that context would like to know

a) what is the amount I should put against line 6 Total wages and scholarships exempt by a treaty from page 2, Item J.

b) Should I deduct this exempt amount from my W2 wages and put in line 7

c) Is my Exemption deduction USD 3300

d) Would I be taxed in India for my income in US and hence double taxed

Regards

Tej
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 10, 2007, 12:07 AM
    Tej:

Determine your treaty exemption. Deduct the treaty exemption from your total wages. Put that amount on Line #3.

Put the treaty exemption amount in Line 6.

b) No! It is the total of your wages (#3), refunds (#4), and scholarship and grants (#5).

c) Yes!

d) Do not know, as I am not an Indian tax expert
    Tej Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2007, 08:51 PM
    Thanks Atlanta Tax Expert for your prompt answer. As for those who would be interested whether the US income would be taxed in India for Resident Indians, after doing some research I have reached the conclusion that the answer is yes but the assesee would get a credit for the tax paid in US.

Regards
    Tej
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 11, 2007, 10:34 PM
    That's pretty typical. Most countries give such credits to avoid double taxation on the same income.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Income Exempt by US - India TAX treaty [ 10 Answers ]

I have a question regarding the income exempt by the US - India tax treaty. I was a student from Jan 04 to Jun 04, then on a OPT from Jun 04 to Oct 04 and on a H1 from Oct 04 through. I have a W2 from my University (for part of the summer that I was working over there), a W2 from my employer...

J1 visa, tax exempt? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I am a research scholar working in the US on J1 visa. I am from India. Am I required to pay income tax, etc. I am new here, and not sure whether one is exempt from taxes on J1 visa. I do not know about the tax treaty between India-US for research scholar on J1 visa. Could you please...

Total Confusion [ 7 Answers ]

Hey Folks, I met a girl online that lives on the other side of the country. We've met two times and every time we've seen each other it's been a wild and wonderful time. (Alot of sex -fyi-) She goes home eveytime with more and more feelings for me, and now we say we love each other. Two weeks ago...

Being Exempt [ 1 Answers ]

If I was exempt while working for a employer and I only made maybe 200.00 do I have to file that w2 since no federal taxes were taken out.

Paycheck Tax Exempt [ 2 Answers ]

I Heard That You Can Claim Tax Exemption For A Few Paychecks A Year. Is This True? Will The Money That Is With Held During The Year Be Deducted From My Annual Tax Return?

View more questions Search